Event ID 504 and 507 from StorDiag with Windows 10

On a system that sfc, chkdsk is not showing any errors and was clean built last week.

Looking into the event viewer looking at the logs in Microsoft-Windows-Storage-ClassPnP/Operational

I see several error messages with source StorDiag looking at Flash Drives - and none are connected during each start up.

Completing a failed IOCTL request. - Error 504 (12 times)

Completing a failed non-ReadWrite SCSI SRB request - Error 507 (12 times)

All is for the same serial number device

SerialNumber 37270751DBAF002518491

@Microsoft What is this new "undocumented feature"?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

I understand your concern, and we in Community will try to help you in the best possible way we can.

This issue might be because of third party app, software conflicts or outdated drivers.

Try the following method and check if it helps.

Set the computer to clean boot state to check for software conflicts.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: When the troubleshooting is over do not forget to reset the computer to normal startup. Follow step 7 in the above article.

Hope the information helps, if you have any further queries, feel free to post. We are here to assist you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi

I have done this and the issue still remains.

It appears to be another fault with Microsoft Windows!

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi

Any update?

Nigel

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Others are having trouble with this as well, in several cases (including mine), associated with migration from Win7 to Win10. See  http://www.mcbsys.com/blog/2016/08/stordiag-errors-after-windows-10-upgrade/

Error apparently caused by "migration" of the SD card reader to Win10.
The person who posted the above wound up disabling the SD card reader, which was on his monitor.

I have the same problem, except that I'm running Windows 10 under Boot Camp on an Apple mid-2010 27" iMac -- and I don't have the option of pulling the cable on the built-in SD card reader!! <smile>  Since I'm getting  these pairs of errors >150 times a day, I'd sure like to find a solution.

"It's a work in progress..."
Win10/64 under BootCamp on mid-2010 27" iMAC

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I too have this problem. I don't know where the actual fault lies but I can demonstrate how it might arise.

On my system I have 3 Flash type readers :-

1. Generic Flash HS-CF Device

2. Generic Flash HS-Combo Device

3. Canon MP610 series USB Device

The StorDiag 504 and 507 errors occur at a rate of 45 per second. If you look at them, you can see that each of the devices generates 15 errors per second.

Of course, I can stop the errors by disabling the devices.

I have Raxco Perfect Disk. If I stop the PerfectDisk services (PDEngine and PDAgent) the errors all stop.

I tried changing PerfectDisk's Global Settings to prevent it defragging Flash devices, but this had no effect on the errors. They continued as before.

I tried inserting a Flashcard in the  Generic Flash HS-CF Device, and the errors immediately dropped to 30 per second and examining them showed that the errors were only occurring on the remaining 'empty' devices (Generic Flash HS-Combo Device and the Canon MP610 series USB Device ).

To confirm this I removed the Flashcard. The error rate returned to 45 per second. I then inserted the Flashcard into the Canon MP610 series USB Device, and the error rate dropped to 30 per second as before. This time on examining the errors, it could be seen they were occurring for the Generic Flash HS-CF Device and the Generic Flash HS-Combo Device.

So, my conclusion is that in my case the problem only occurs with 'empty' Flash devices. As PerfectDisk seems to be involved, I am wondering whether Perfect Disk is somehow 'polling these devices, and either is using a message format which these devices can't handle, and Windows responds with an error, or possibly Windows 10 is not replying correctly to the polling and is itself generating the error.

The Flash devices are all several years old and pre-Windows 8. The devices work fine, and the drives, when inserted and used show no errors.

Windows 10 Pro Version 1607 (OS Build 14393.351)

Raxco PerfectDisk 14.0 Pro (Build 890)

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

In my case I do not have Perfect Disc Installed. 

I am simply getting error 504 at random times as well as 507.

I have to believe that Microsoft are not aware of how to fix the issue or dont care

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So, my conclusion is that in my case the problem only occurs with 'empty' Flash devices.

I came to the same conclusion.  I suspect the issue may arise with ANY software running in the background that 'polls' external devices.  E.g., I use photography software that is supposed to detect when an SD card is inserted and bring up the import interface.  I don't use it, but it's there. I'll have to try disabling it and see.  I note that Windows itself seems to monitor external ports -- at least it seems to bring up a dialog about what to do when an external storage device is plugged in (or a card slot 'filled').

"It's a work in progress..."
Win10/64 under BootCamp on mid-2010 27" iMAC

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Clayon.Curtis   --    "I use photography software that is supposed to detect when an SD card is inserted and bring up the import interface.  I don't use it, but it's there. I'll have to try disabling it and see."

Thanks that would be a useful test.

If you find that stopping the photography software stops the errors, we then have evidence from two unrelated pieces of software. 

It would then seem more likely that the problem might lie with Windows 10. The alternative is that both pieces of software are doing the 'polling' with somehow incorrect parameters or functions. That's not impossible, but unlikely.

Another alternative is that Windows has changed its requirements for polling requests which have not been communicated to developers, and so they are in effect using 'incorrect' parameters or functions.

It will be interesting to hear your results.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have run some tests and find that the issue occurs without any Third Party software running.

I know that most if not all AntiVirus programs constantly poll for devices being added.

Windows itself does it as well as it need to determine when to load drivers for the issues.

On one Flash drive I always get 507 errors with the message Completing a failed non-ReadWrite SCSI SRB request

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, on my system, there are definitely no errors generated when PerfectDisk services have been stopped. So, it doesn't look like Windows is creating these errors by itself with its normal activities. I suspect that the errors are the result of application software or services polling these devices.

As there seems to be more than one piece of application software involved, it is likely that the code generating the errors is Windows itself. If not, it would require every piece of polling software to be generating the same error, which is unlikely. The possibilities are :-

a) Windows 10 is not replying correctly to the polling and is itself generating the error.

b) Microsoft have changed the specifications of the polling interface, and not  published the changes to software developers. 

The good news is that (on my system) after the November Windows updates the amount of errors generated is much reduced. Nothing else has changed, so it looks as though something in the updates has caused this reduction.

When the PerfectDisk services are not running, there are no errors, as before.

When the PerfectDisk services are running there are periods when no error activities occur at all within a specific minute, and regular bursts happen at 3 minute intervals, with a rate of 24 events per minute. There are some higher bursts, but nothing like the previous rates which were 45 per sec = 2700 per minute. The log itself verifies this, in that beforehand the Windows updates the log 'rolled round' within 15 minutes. Now it takes about 24 hours to do so.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 23, 2021 Views 16,586 Applies to: