Cleaning the Windows\Installer folder

After installing Windows 10 on my laptop, I noticed that the C:\Windows\Installer folder has now reached 23.8 GB.  Since I only have a 128 GB SSD, the size is getting ridiculous. It's not nearly so large on other Windows installations I've checked.  

My question is: can I clean this somehow?

Some preemptive notes:

- I have already done all disk cleanup procedures, including system files and old windows installs

- The folder is already compressed

- I gather from other forum posts that programs like msizap and cclean don't work

- Some of the msi/msp files are super old: like 2008, whereas I bought the laptop in 2013.

Thanks for your help!

Question Info

Last updated October 20, 2019 Views 303,996 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

http://download.cnet.com/PatchCleaner/3000-2094_4-76399133.html?part=dl-10218687&subj=dl&tag=button

Worked for me

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

139 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

The Windows Installer Cache, located in c:\windows\installer folder, is used to store important files for applications installed using the Windows Installer technology and should not be deleted.

The installer cache is used to maintain (remove / update) the applications and patches installed on the machine. The installer files are a record of file versions and registry dependencies involved in a particular application or application update installation. The availability of this record in the cache helps to uninstall and update applications properly.

Refer: http://blogs.technet.com/b/joscon/archive/2012/01/18/can-you-safely-delete-files-in-the-windir-installer-directory.aspx

Let us know if you have any further query on Windows, we are glad to assist.

65 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.