cannot change default app for jpg files

Hi,

Cannot change default app for jpg files even in setting panel for specific file type. The default didn't change even after selecting the app I wanted and enter.

This happens when I'm still using the computer. I was editing some photos using the default Irfranview when the next moment the jpg file was open by the window photo viewer.

Using win home 10 and using Irfranview. Please help.

Thanks

KH

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Answer
Answer

Hi KH,

Setting a default program or app to open a file doesn't restrict other apps or programs that support the same file type to open it. With your .jpg file opening with Photo viewer, it appears that Photo viewer is set as the default program. If you want to use the other program as the default .jpg viewer, then let's make sure that it's properly selected as the default program. Make sure to close both your Photo viewer and Irfranview apps first before doing the changes.

To associate a file type or protocol with a program, follow the steps below:

1. Open Control Panel.
  2. Click Programs, then Default Programs.
  3. In the right pane, click Associate a file type or protocol with a program.
  4. Locate and click .jpg extension and click the Change Program option in the upper left corner of the page.
  5. Select the program or app you want .jpg file to open with. If the app you want to use doesn't appear under Other options, then click on More apps.
  6. Once you've selected the app or program, click OK and then Close.

Try opening a .jpg file and see if it opens with your selected app or program.

Let us know if you need further help regarding this matter.

Regards.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 4, 2024 Views 9,066 Applies to: