Windows 10 pro missing title bar and part of the top of window

Hello, we are experiencing problems with certain application in windows 10 the top of teh window (the first inch)is missing... the title bar the close minimize  button are not there and if there a window underneat it it will close that window instead it happens with file explorer, google chrome, adobe reader dc.

all those apps are up to date the windows are also up to date, i can't an answer anywhere i tried using system restore but the problem comes back shortly after ( a day or 2 )

Question Info

Last updated July 23, 2019 Views 37,310 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

How long have you been testing this for? I thought the same thing, being all of our machines in the office are Dells with integrated Intel graphics. However, I have seen people mention that they have NVIDIA and ATI cards and are having the same issues. I have noticed that every time I have to fix the issue, someone has opened an office document in protected mode. I am turning off protected mode on a few to see if the issue comes back. 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I can confirm that this issue is still occurring in Windows 10 1903 and Office 365 version 1905 Build 11629.20246.

We are getting it on a few different devices, different graphics cards. Always multi-monitor but it does vary which monitor gets affected (sometimes primary, sometimes secondary).

The SHIFT + CTRL + WIN + B workaround does the trick. Not keen on the other workarounds suggested, especially turning off protected mode for office apps.

We had also been using WIN + Down Arrow to unmaximize a window.

It would be great to get some input from Microsoft on this one. I wasn't able to find the issue on the feedback hub to upvote (mentioned earlier).

Sorry this didn't help.

I have turned off Protected Mode in my Office apps and that has eliminated the problem for now.  Agree to not being keen on this fix but it has reduced my frustration level immensely.  Agree that it would be preferable for Microsoft to resolve this issue without forcing us to either increase our vulnerability or play games all day long to work around the problem they have created.

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having this EXACT same problem as Jaco Nel in July 2, 2018 post.

The above is VERY helpful, the bulleted list of symptoms is excellent. The workarounds actually work (obviously the contributor is not Microsoft, he said sarcastically).

I'll add that I've had my ASUS lap top for about a year, and I just started experiencing this with the last MS update.

I'll keep looking through this thread and hope I find that MS is addressing it and can provide a permanent solution.

Sorry this didn't help.

Same issue, so frustrating. 

Sorry this didn't help.

OK, Think I have this one sorted!! (bottom for short answer)

as in my previous posts, This issue is happening with 25% of our machines

Toshiba Tecra A40 Laptops in docking stations (Laptop closed), Intel HD Graphics 520 (Driver 24.20.100.6286)

Two monitors plugged into the docking station (VGA and HDMI)
Windows and all other drivers up to date. (at time of original post)

same issues from this thread, cannot use original Intel drivers, have to use Toshiba downloads
https://forums.intel.com

CTRL+SHIFT+WIN+B works until it happens again!! approx 3 times a day... EVERY day

Tried:
  • Rebuild win10 (clean and restore)
  • Different drivers
  • Different monitors
  • Different cables
  • Different docking station
When the problem occurs it is ALWAYS on a full screen application, if you 'restore down' (SHIFT+WIN+DownArrow) the application window is fine and can be moved in to the top of the screen that was missing without any issues! if you then maximize the window the problem returns.

Also if you move the 'bad' application to the other screen (SHIFT+WIN+Left/RightArrow) the application is OK, move the window back the the 'bad' screen the problem is still there.

The problem does NOT always happen on the same screen.

Applications that seem to be the worst:
  • Adobe Acrobat Standard 2017
  • Windows Picture Viewer (Microsoft Photos 2019.18114.17710.0)
  • Microsoft Outlook 2016 (NOT 365)
the issue happens whether any MS Office application is open or not.

"quicken fix" did NOT do this, as I read that the quicken fix disables graphic card acceleration...
https://www.quicken.com/support/transparent-menu-bar-issue

"Office Protected View mode" did not disable this...

Anyway, the fix, for us at least...
about two weeks ago windows 10 did a graphic driver update that can down with windows updates to driver version 25.20.100.6615
along with a couple of other updates, and the issue has not happened since!!

I think the issue here is manufactures like Toshiba being VERY slow on re-wrapping and releasing drivers for their products

But then why does this only occur on 25% of the exact same machines, using the same base image?

So the short answer... graphic driver.

Thanks Microsoft/Intel/Toshiba for all your help in fixing and updating your products in a customer focused, timely manor, acknowledging issues and assisting the people that pay you money, thanks for wasting so many man hours and my company's reputation.

I really need to know what we (the people that sell your products) are meant to say to our customers when WE sell items that are faulty/not fit for purpose through no fault of our own?

how about "Yes sir, this £1000 laptop is a good purchase, the best, the fastest on the market... but there is a 25% chance it will be a door stop until the manufactures sort their sh it out and fix it with a software update, it should be usable in about thirteen months"

I know things go bad and don't work to plan, ALL I want is an official acknowledgement of a problem, a time line and a fix. Just something to tell my customer...

Sorry this didn't help.

Anyway, the fix, for us at least...

about two weeks ago windows 10 did a graphic driver update that can down with windows updates to driver version 25.20.100.6615
along with a couple of other updates, and the issue has not happened since!!

I think the issue here is manufactures like Toshiba being VERY slow on re-wrapping and releasing drivers for their products

But then why does this only occur on 25% of the exact same machines, using the same base image?

So the short answer... graphic driver.

Thanks Microsoft/Intel/Toshiba for all your help in fixing and updating your products in a customer focused, timely manor, acknowledging issues and assisting the people that pay you money, thanks for wasting so many man hours and my company's reputation.

I really need to know what we (the people that sell your products) are meant to say to our customers when WE sell items that are faulty/not fit for purpose through no fault of our own?

how about "Yes sir, this £1000 laptop is a good purchase, the best, the fastest on the market... but there is a 25% chance it will be a door stop until the manufactures sort their sh it out and fix it with a software update, it should be usable in about thirteen months"

I know things go bad and don't work to plan, ALL I want is an official acknowledgement of a problem, a time line and a fix. Just something to tell my customer...

Hope for you that it will not come because I've got this driver on some computer that is still have the issue...

Sorry this didn't help.

@IT. Michael There is not dependency on Toshiba or Intel. I have same issue on all my three computers:

• Lenovo W520 + Nvidia Nvidia Quadro (I have disabled internal graphic card in BIOS) + dock + dual monitor configuration (Extend desktop)
  • Lenovo P51 + Nvidia Nvidia Quadro (I have disabled internal graphic card in BIOS) + dock +  dual monitor configuration (Extend desktop)
  • motherboard Gigabyte Z390 + Nvidia RTX 2700 (Extend desktop)

The problem occurs about three years ago 😥 My current (temporary) workaround is "SHIFT + CTRL + WIN + B" or turn off/on one monitor.

I have same experiance with:

"Also if you move the 'bad' application to the other screen (SHIFT+WIN+Left/RightArrow) the application is OK, move the window back the the 'bad' screen the problem is still there."

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm running v1903 build 18362.175 ... problem STILL exists.

Sorry this didn't help.

Dear all,

I can confirm the workaround to disable Protected Mode in Office Word, Excel and PowerPoint will resolve the problematic title bar issues in Adobe Reader, Google Chrome and Explorer for my customer using Windows Server 2016 (Build 1607) as Remote Desktop Session Host servers. Many thanks for sharing this here!

Now let's hope Microsoft will fix this so we can enable Protected Mode again.

Sorry this didn't help.