Windows 10 frozen screen

Can anyone help my laptop seems to be frozen.  The pointer icon thing is just spinning round and has been for the last 20 minutes or so, I can access  the few application/software icons I still have on my original windows 7 home screen but very slowly.

Hi Jason,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community and showing interest in Windows 10.

As per the issue description your computer freezes and cursor disappears. The screen flickering/blinking/freezing issue that we are experiencing after an upgrade to Windows 10 is mainly due to the security software (Norton Antivirus) or the display drivers.

Try the methods provided below and see if it helps.

Method 1: Boot the computer in safe mode.

a. When you hit the power button in Windows 8.1 (through Charms Bar), hold down the Shift key when clicking the Restart button.

b. The next screen will present you with three options. Click Troubleshoot.

c. Next, hit Advanced options followed by Windows StartupSettings from the next screen.

d. Your PC will now be rebooted to enable the advanced parameters, which include Safe Mode as well. Once it restarts, you’ll get nine options whereby the following commands apply:

• F4 for Safe Mode

• F5 for Safe Mode with Networking

F6 for Safe Mode with Command Prompt

For more information you may refer to the article mentioned below.

Windows Startup Settings (including safe mode)

Method 2

I would suggest you to disable security software temporarily (Norton if installed) and see if it helps you to fix the issue.

NoteAntivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Method 3

In addition to that try to install all of the Windows updates available and if issue persists, try to update the Display drivers by following the steps provided in the article mentioned below.

The issue could also be related to the Display drivers and other updates. I want to inform you that updates will be released by Microsoft. So, I would suggest you to keep checking your Windows updates not only important one but optional too. If any available try to install them and see if it helps you to fix the issue.

How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10

If issue still persists, then install the drivers for Windows 8/8.1 from the manufacturer's website in compatibility mode and check if that works.

Make older programs compatible with this version of Windows
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-8/older-programs-compatible-version-windows

Reference:  

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/network-connection-problem-help#network-problems=windows-81&v1h=win81tab5&v2h=win7tab1&v3h=winvistatab1&v4h=winxptab1

Hope this would help. If issue still persists post back with current status of your computer and result of the proposed suggestion, we will be happy to assist you.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 22, 2023 Views 3,602 Applies to: