Screensaver won't start anymore

For whatever reason my screensaver stopped working recently.

I have it set to display photos but when the time I've set it to (30 mins) runs out nothing happens.

I did some Google searching and quite a number of people with similar issues seemed to get different kind of error messages such as 'Screensaver x could not be started' or things like that. In my case nothing happens, the screensaver doens't start and I don't get any error messages nor any other kind of indications what's wrong.

I've tried adjusting the time, checking and un-checking the option to show the lock screen, picking a different screen saver but all to no avail...problem persists.

I've also tried running dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth and sfc /scannow but they both finished successfully with no issues found. I've also searched for new Windows updates but it says I'm already up to date.

I'm on Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17134.81]

Any tips how to get my screensaver working again highly appreciated!
|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I can now answer my own question.

The problem is caused by having a pair of rudder pedals (used for simulating flight) made by a company called CH Products connected to my PC via USB.

Looking in Device Manager under Human Interface Devices, the pedals are referred to as HID-compliant game controller and their device instance ID is VID_068E&PID_00F2\7&306b5100&0&0000.

These pedals have been working perfectly fine until recently. So apparently something changed in one of the latest Windows updates that is now causing this issue where the screensaver including shutting the display off after a certain amount of time no longer works unless the pedals are disconnected or disabled in Device Manager.

If I recall correctly I and lots of other people faced very similar issues a couple of years back that were eventually acknowledged and fixed by Microsoft. I hope that is what will happen this time around as well.

13 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

My memory was correct and I even found the old thread in this very same forum posted back in August 2015.

That time after some not very impressive responses from MS staff suggesting there was a problem with corrupt system files or user profiles MS eventually identified and fixed the issue in a patch. So it looks like MS now with the latest version of Windows 10 managed to wake this old issue up again.

Here's a link to the old thread describing the very same issue about 3 years ago...

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start/screensaver-wont-work-in-windows-10-with-game/752b86d4-12f1-4649-b6d9-fb605e7e6766?auth=1

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi WebMaximus,

Perhaps along with this newest Windows update, a rudder pedal driver update has also been released by the device manufacturer for compatibility, try updating the drivers or reinstall it if an update is not available.

In addition, some users with related concern has reported that the issue is related to the graphics card driver as well. That may worth looking at.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The device is rather old and it has been working just fine without any special drivers until Windows was upgraded to 1803.

Also, checking the device in Device Manager I was told the device didn't require any drivers.

Thanks for the info about the graphics card drivers. Found some of that myself. However in this case it's very clear the culprit is the rudder pedals (or the built-in Windows driver) because whenever it's enabled the screen saver doesn't start and vice versa.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the update.

Since it is clear enough that this issue is introduced after updating to Windows 10 1803, this could make a fine feedback item to make this issue known to Microsoft engineers. To submit a feedback item, please follow these steps:

1. On a Windows 10 computer, search Feedback Hub in Cortana search, then launch the app.
  2. Navigate to Feedback, in the left menu, then press + Add new feedback.
  3. Select the Problem, and share any details you think are relevant and choose an appropriate category and subcategory.
  4. Important: If possible, reproduce the problem(s) after clicking Begin monitoring (or Start capture) near the end of the form; Stop monitoring when you're done.
  5. Once you've completed the form and monitoring, click Submit.
  6. Click Continue using Feedback Hub.
  7. Click My feedback at the top, to find the item you submitted (it may take a while to appear).

If  you have other concerns, don't hesitate to post back.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks, I'll follow the instructions.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Interestingly enough when I started following the instructions on how to recreate the issue, all of a sudden the screensaver worked normally even with the device connected that used to stop the screensaver from starting.

Really odd especially since I haven't changed one thing and I didn't have any MS updates installed for the last couple of days when checking the update history.

Well, I guess this means case closed and I hope it will stay this way now.

Thanks for your attention and trying to help. Will mark this as solved although we don't know at this time what actually solved it. Still no reason to keep this thread open when I don't have the issue anymore.

Thanks again!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So I was too fast thinking the problem was completely solved.

I actually came to think of one thing I did change to my system recently. I disabled the IN-GAME OVERLAY option in Nvidia GeForce Experience.

So I just tried re-enabling it and sure enough - having that option enabled plus having the CH Pro Pedals connected/enabled at the same time will stop the Windows screensaver from starting. Disabling one of them (either the CH Pro Pedals or the IN-GAME OVERLAY option in Nvidia GeForce Experience) will make the screensaver work normally again.

So I'll go ahead and try to show this now using the steps provided above to send feedback to MS. Not sure how that built-in capture tool works - if it's taking screenshots or if it's actually recording my screen. The latter I think would be the best method in this case to really see the issue but I'll give it a go anyway.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We appreciate you actively posting an update for this issue.

Yes, the capture tool will record your screen so that you can effectively present the issue.

Don't hesitate to post back if you have other concerns.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I recently started having a problem with my screen saver not coming on as well.

The only change i've made was I installed a Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS flight pack.

I wonder if my rudder pedals are causing this same problem, going to unplug the system and see.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 21, 2021 Views 4,750 Applies to: