Windows 10 won't accept password at login

When I tried turning on my desktop earlier today I was unable to login. It keeps saying my password is incorrect. Then it tells me i can reset at account.live.com/password/reset . It still didn't work. I've been searching around the internet all day and i still can't seem to find a solution. Some people seem to be able to change their keyboard language with a small icon in the corner. There is no such icon for me.(i also trieduse the on screen key board and the eye icon so

i know my password's right.) I've also tried booting in safe mode but it still won't accept my password. I use a wired internet connection. I've tried booting with and without the internet. In everycase its the same.

I never had a windows 10 disk. I download it an an upgrade to windows 8.

The only option I haven't tried is a complete reinstall of the operating system. I have a lot custom made files that I don't have backed up anywhere else. Reseting the entire system really isn't an option if I'll lose all my programs. The weird part is the password works on my other devises when signing into my microsoft account.

this is my first time posting here. I nomally wouldn't post anything but I couldn't find any answers for an answer. Right now I have to post from a phone.

right now i'm posting from a phone.

Question Info

Last updated April 4, 2020 Views 153,810 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Joe,

I appreciate the troubleshooting steps you have tried to resolve the issue.

• Did you make any software and hardware changes to your computer prior to this issue?

If you have changed the password recently then you need an active internet connection to sync password to your computer. I suggest you to connect your PC to internet and try logging with new password and check if you are able to login. Thank you.

Pavan N

69 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I've been using the same password since I got the PC. I only changed it recently because it stopped working. I've tried logging in with an internet connection as well as without one but it still rejects my password. I know the password is correct because it works on all my other devices.

757 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I've been using the same password since I got the PC. I only changed it recently because it stopped working. I've tried logging in with an internet connection as well as without one but it still rejects my password. I know the password is correct because it works on all my other devices.

I had the same problem three months ago and found out I had a damaged keyboard driver.

What I would type was not the characters the keyboard sent out and that was why my

passwords were being rejected.  After I replaced by keyboard drive I had no more

problems.

65 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Would a bad key board driver affect the on screen keyboard? The on screen key board isn't working either. When I click the little eye at the end of the password bar it shows me what I typed. Everything looks correct. The password is the same as the one I used the sign in just now.

Also, how do you replace your key board driver if you can't log in?

44 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Joe,

I suggest you to refer the link below and follow the steps suggested and check.

When you can't sign in to your Microsoft account.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/sign-in-cant

Do let us know if you are able to log into the PC. Thank you.

Pavan N

11 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Okay I've still yet to login into my PC. I've tried reseting my password already and it hasn't worked. I just reset it again and my PC still rejects it. When held down shift and hit the reset icon, it went into the usual trouble shooting menu. When I went into system recovery it asked me for my password and it worked. Its only when i'm actually trying sign in that it rejects my password. Just to make sure it was my password that was working I put in few passwords I knew where wrong and they didn't work. For some reason it just won't accept my password at the login screen.

53 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Joe,

Thank you for updating.

Do you have other admin account in the PC?

As you are able to log in Recovery environment and not in login screen. This might be an sync setting corruption. If you have other admin account then log in using that account and you can remove and re-add the Microsoft account. If you don't have other admin account then you can enable built in admin account then remove and re-add Microsoft account.

I suggest you to try enabling the built in admin account and check if you face the issue there.

1. Right click on the start icon and select Command Prompt (Admin)2. Type "net user Administrator /active:yes"3. Hit Enter.

A user account with the name Admin will be created. Log in with that account and you will be able to access Admin privileges. You can also create more Administrator accounts with that account.

Note: Once you are able to log into computer take a back up of all data to an external hard drive.

To remove Microsoft user account follow the steps below:

NOTE: It is always recommended you keep a backup of all your data and the go ahead with the process.

1. Type User Accounts in the search bar and click Enter.

2. Click on Manage another account.

3. Click on the User account you wish to delete.

4. Click on the Delete the account.

5. In the prompt you can either click on keep files (which will keep a back up of all your files) or delete files (which will delete all the files associated with this account).

6. Click on Delete Account.

7. Close Control Panel.

Do let us know the status of the issue. Thank you.

Pavan N

14 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for continuing to reply. As of right now, I am still unable to login.

I don't have another account on this PC. I just had the one admin account. Is there another way to enable the built in admin account? Because I can't log in, there is no start icon for me to click on.

UPDATE: I'm not sure if it's important, but before this issue arose my computer crashed to a blue screen. It said it was collecting data to send to Microsoft and that I could restart once it was done.

47 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Okay I managed to logon now. I used the troubleshooting command prompt to activate the hidden administrator account. I'm now back in the system.

50 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Joe,

Thank you for posting your response.

Glad to know that the information was helpful to you and the issue is resolved. We appreciate your efforts in troubleshooting the issue. Please feel free to reply, in case you face any other issues with Windows in future. We'll be more than happy to assist you again.

Pavan N

17 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.