Windows 10 password incorrect

I am absolutely frustrated and hope someone can help me resolve as I believe this isn't impossible. I upgraded from Windows 8 to 10 last week and when I logged in for the first time, my legacy password no longer worked. I visited the live.com link as instructed in the error message and reset it online several times to no avail. Finally, (oddly) as my MS login is my Yahoo email address, I finally entered the password associated with my Yahoo account and it worked. I have no idea why. My MS and Yahoo passwords have never been the same and still aren't. From there, I was able to use my computer. Yesterday, returned home and logged in again. My password once again was not recognized. 

I have performed the following actions based on KBs and other community peer to peer support, all to no avail. Returning to factory settings is not an option. I have tax documents, and more importantly 1k photos and videos of our babies which I cannot afford to lose. Please help me. I am in tears over this. 

Machine

Toshiba Satelitte laptop

I have performed the following:

• Reset my password via the live.com link in the error message over 60 times in 4 hours
  • Logged in using the on-screen keyboard 
  • Confirmed language is EN
  • Turned off Internet access and logged in using the last password that worked
  • Unplugged my computer, removed the battery and held down the power button for 30+ seconds
  • Logged in using another account (non-admin) and was able to log in successfully (this account has no access to our family files)
  • Tried all possible passwords, variations, etc. that I have ever had online 

Adding to this case. I spoke to Sheila with Microsoft Support at 9:08am CT. After walking her through the bullets above, she replied by asking me to perform the exact same actions I had already relayed to her. I understand MS is reading through documents to troubleshoot, but there's a gap here. They are not trained to think. To perform troubleshooting tasks unless clearly drafted in front of them. They are not listening to the customer. 

Her final recommendation (and only recommendation as she indicated) was to purchase Windows 10. 

So Microsoft, you're telling me that after being locked out of my computer, I need to pay you for this deficient product or restore my computer to factory settings. 

I will never upgrade again. I should have known better to upgrade to a product in its first 6 months of shipment. Please point me to the nearest Apple store. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Same thing happened to me

Managed to get pass it by creating a new account via command prompt

Here are the steps I followed

First: you have to enter to command prompt, for me it was easy cause my vaio has recovery option to allow me use command prompt while being outside windows. If you don't have this option then better to Boot off the Windows disk and select the “Repair your computer” then choose command prompt from the options.

Second: you’ll want to type in the following command to backup the original sticky keys file:

copy c:\windows\system32\sethc.exe c:\

Then you’ll copy the command prompt executable (cmd.exe) over top of the sticky keys executable:

copy c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe c:\windows\system32\sethc.exe

Then write yes

Now you can reboot the PC.

Once you get to the login screen, hit the Shift key 5 times, and you’ll see an administrator mode command prompt.

Third: you will need to create a new user account through command prompt

Write the following:
1.net user /add useraccountname mypassword
2.net localgroup administrators useraccountname /add
3.net share concfg=C:/grant:useraccountname,full ((number 3 may not work, no problem ignore)

Finally you will find now new user created, you can log in with the password you chosen

You will have all your installed programs but you windows settings will return to the default.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having the same problem. and cannot get any help. I also have important items that I cannot loose. after the shift restart step all the next steps all ask for my password and wont let me do anything. I'm sending this to the news media in my area maybe that way Microsoft will fix this issue faster then what they are doing now. I suggest you do this to.  If more people tell their stories to the news the better

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Robert and Lorraine,

I had the same issue as well but by luck I managed to fix it. 

My problem was that the Fn (Function) key was set to locked on after the update!  Because I couldn't see the password I was typing in ( all * ) I didn't know I was entering it wrong over and over. If your laptop/device has a FN key, try retyping your password while pressing the FN key for the characters in your password that have an alternate. Hope you find your answer

Jonathan

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Lorraine,

Thank you for keeping us updated on this query.

We really appreciate the troubleshooting steps you performed in order to resolve your issue.

Does the issue occur with other user profile as well?

Follow the method below and check if the issue is resolved.

Method 1:Boot the computer in Safe Mode

Safe mode is a diagnostic mode that starts your computer with limited drivers necessary to run Windows. The words Safe Mode appear in the corners of your monitor to identify which Windows mode you are using.

To go to safe mode follow the steps below

Step 1: Restart yourPC.
Step 2: Press Shift + F8 before the Windows logo appears.
Step 3: Click See Advanced Repair Options.

Step 4: Click Troubleshoot.

Step 5: Click Advanced Options.

Step 6: Click Windows Startup Settings.

Step 7: Click Restart.

You then see a list where you can choose Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking (depending on whether you think you’ll need the Internet).

Method 2: If the issue is not resolved, create another Administrator user profile and check if the issue persist.

Following is the link about Create a user account:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-user-account#create-user-account=windows-8

Hope this helps!

Get back to us if you have queries regarding Windows, we will be happy to help you.

Thank you,
Microsoft Community.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Try holding down the Fn key whilst entering your password.  Some idiot at MS has set the Fn to on while entering password.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 22, 2022 Views 545 Applies to: