Where did the Control Panel and My Computer buttons go?

Where did the Control Panel and My Computer buttons go on Windows 10? 

I thought my change over to Windows 10 would be effortless.  Once again Microsoft does not get it.  When updating new software they continue to hide useful items.  Remember all the useful icons you got used to using Microsoft Word 98?  Although a new programs choices and capabilities may increase, a person can't spend time searching for frequently used items.  In other words,  stop hiding important tools in other menus.  The idea of creating an Icon is that it becomes iconic.  You recognize it immediately.  The My Computer and Control panel toggles were imbedded in the PC control menus for years, so long, they became icons. The Windows 10 changes are too drastic. 

Oh don't worry I found the Control Panel, but it took ten minutes and is not as easily accessible. 

I'm sure most people's computers are used as business tools.  And as any good plumber or carpenter knows, you can't waste time looking for tools and parts.  You have to be on task. 

So maybe you put up the argument that "progress" and "development" means people have to reeducate themselves and get used to updated tools.   In response, my question would be did the use or function of these icons become less important or outmoded by some newer developments in technology?  Are they not important enough to be located where I can find them easily?  When developing new soft ware Microsoft should remember: Different is not necessarily better, it's just different.  If you want to make a difference make it better, or someone will shop in a competitors store where they make it better.

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

The Windows 10 changes are only 'drastic' to those that completely avoided learning anything about Windows 8/8.1.  I'm afraid that you can't simply jump past 2 major Operating Systems Upgrades and then expect that things will be exactly as they were under Windows 7.

As an example, 'Control Panel' will inevitably disappear altogether as Microsoft continues to move its content  into "Settings", so you really need to start adapting to the changes.

MJA
Windows Insider, Surface Pro 3, MacBook Pro (VirtualBox + Windows 10)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Perhaps in my frustration and haste to comment the choice of the word "drastic" was too strong.  Ease of use is the key to a good system and it was the point of my comment.  When I couldn't find the Control Panel, the first place I looked was "settings," but it wasn't there.  I found it by using the search tool (which, thankfully, remains in a historically obvious, useful spot).  It is now clear that the "Quick access" sidebar now holds all the items I used to find on the old Windows "Start menu," though "My Computer" has been replaced with "My PC."  But, that illustrates my point.  Neither of those functions are at the touch of a single button (the start button).  You now have to touch the "Start button," then select "File explorer", then select "My PC."  Windows added a step to access the same information.  There is also an extra step when I shutdown the computer.  I have to select the Start button, then select the Power button, then select Shut down.   From my experience (dating back to Commodore computers, and upgrading my operating system every two years), the difficulty in using each new system is the need to read instructions or the need to be familiar with the last program upgrade.  Young kids pick up an iPhone, they touch a symbol and the device comes alive for them.  It is the single touch simplicity they enjoy.  One does not want to search seemingly endless windows and menus for tools.  I've been adapting to changes in operating systems for 30 years, perhaps it is time for me to look for a better product.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Changes just for the sake of changes does nothing to "improve" the product.  What improvements have been made that make "hiding" the old functions necessary or better?  None that I can find.  Now, with the newest windows release they have done it again.  No longer is control panel available as a right click to the start icon.  Where did it go this time and, just as importantly, why?

Not impressed and willingness to change and adapt has nothing to do with it.  This has been the case with Microsoft since moving from DOS to GUI

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

No longer is control panel available as a right click to the start icon.  Where did it go this time and, just as importantly, why?

Huh? Not only is it there, but you can pin it to Start, Taskbar or send a shortcut to the desktop.

===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== =====
☞ Avoid a post. Backup your data. ☜

Bruce Hagen
MVP: 2004 ~ 2010
2014 ~ Present
Imperial Beach, CA

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Creators update it is removed and we are stuck with the crippled "settings" instead.  It is still available if you do a search and just type in control panel, then right click and pin to start. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

That's what happens when someone tags onto an old thread and doesn't explain the issue in detail. There wasn't a Creators Update back in 2015 when this thread was started. Thank God they are finally starting to lock old threads.
===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== =====
☞ Avoid a post. Backup your data. ☜

Bruce Hagen
MVP: 2004 ~ 2010
2014 ~ Present
Imperial Beach, CA

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated May 2, 2024 Views 1,141 Applies to: