Skype on Windows 10, disable or remove

How can I disable/remove Skype from Windows 10?  There is no camera or mic on this machine and it is used for managing contact data.  Everytime I copy a phone number, Skype opens.  I really need to stop this.  Even disabling at startup does not prevent it from running and of course it is not found in Programs and Features.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi John,

Skype can be installed either by store app or desktop app or if you have the office version of Lync installed.

• You may try to check for the Skype app in the Task Manger
  • Right click on it and select Open File Location to see where it is installed.
  • From there try to Uninstall or if it is installed through office 2013 you may have to uninstall from Office application.

Note: You may access the task manager by Pressing Ctrl+Shift+Esc

Thank you.

Ravinath P
Forum Moderator - Multiple Forums

39 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Immediately after updating to Windows 10 Skype was a real problem because it would launch when ever a  phone number was point to.  I was doing some major contact management and it started whether the phone number was in Excel, Work, Edge or even Filemaker.  First attempt was to disable at start-up and restart.  That did not work.  After considerable effort I thought I found the path late yesterday.  From the start screen select SETTINGS, then SYSTEM then APPS & FEATURES.  From there it can be found and uninstalled.  It was not found in Programs and Features on Control Panel.  Also, I was not able to find it through Task Manager, maybe I didn't look through all possibilities other than what Task Manager calls APPS and BACKGROUND PROCESSES.  Based on your comments, I checked Task Manager again, and WOW, it is still in StartUp after the apparent APP uninstall.  So I tried looking at Office 2013 through Start, right clicking and Uninstall.  That took me to Programs and Features.  Tried change Office, could not find Skype.  Went back to Task Manager / StartUp, did a right click on Skype for Business and chose File Location to see if it was actually there.  It was.  A click and it started.  I stopped it, changed the file name and hope it does not come back to bite me.  Even tried CHAT twice and could not get more specific help that "it's in Programs and Features" or disabling in StartUp will work. 

Thanks for the reply and please wish me luck on the rename.

477 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Skype for business 2015 was added to Windows 10 as a preplacement for Lync 2013. It gave me fits always popping up on the taskbar each time I restarted the PC. It was very annoying. After numerous attempts at stopping it, I finally went to the file manager and went to C:\Porgram Data\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Office 2013\ and delete the shortcut for Skype for Business 2015 shortcut. In the Microsoft office 2013 there is another folder called Microsoft Office 2013 tools. In that folder you will find a shortcut for Skype for Business Recording Manager. Delete that also and you should not see the slimy beast again. At least it solved my problem.

19 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the reply.  I did similar.  With Windows 10 it is easy because right clicking on the icon give the option to go to the file location so went there removed the short cut and changed the name of the Skype.exe.  However, after a couple rounds of updates, Skype was back.  Also tried disabling the startup via task manager.  It again highlights phone numbers.  Had hints that it actually uses the Lync.exe.  So changed that name and that seems to have worked.  A couple times I have been prompted to install Skype, but (fingers crossed) that has not happened yet.  The unfortunate piece is I would actually use Skype but the highlighting of phone numbers messes with one of the primary tasks for this machine and according to Support, there is no was to disable that feature.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Just want to say that Skype has become nothing more than a new way to get spammed.

Every pc I have with Skype gets annoying spam from random Skype accounts even when I try to shut it off.

Microsoft needs to make changes to how it defaults so that users can be free of junk calls or Skype will just be seen as garbage and another reason to get rid of windows.

43 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Mine seems to be activated by the MSN homepage which auto logs me into Outlook.com.

The first I knew about this was when highheelgirl835 tried to contact me!!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I went in through your method and deleted the first instance of it but when I looked farther down the list I found it attacked to Microsoft Messenger as well. Getting rid of both instances has eliminated it from my Task Manager list completely.

It was crashing about every 30 minutes or so and causing major instability in my computer which was continuously trying to launch it.

Microsoft needs to realize that forcing applications down our throats without a simple easy way to turn them off or just to not install them is going to drive many of their customers to Linux. Now if we could just find a way to get rid of Cortana completely so our machines would be better secured.

25 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you so much!  Skype is driving me crazy.  I also have no mic or camera, or need for them.  Delighted to have got rid of it at long last.  Hopefully MS won't reinstall it next upgrade.

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Go the installed programs under control panel and uninstall Skype that's all I did. As I to

was having problems with Skype.Tom

14 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 23, 2024 Views 142,701 Applies to: