Cannot Drag and Drop into Edge

I just upgraded to Windows 10 and am using Edge. Only problem is I cannot drag and drop. Whether it's OneDrive/Office 365, uploading to YouTube, or any email app that uses drag and drop (for like attaching files and photos), it won't work using Edge. It's no problem on other browsers like Firefox, even Internet Explorer; but not on Edge.

Hopefully there's a fix or an update resolving this.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing a few trouble using Edge. Let me help you resolve the issue.

This issue might have occurred due to some corrupted system files.

Follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1:

Let's try to run the System File Checker Scan and see if it helps.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833?wa=wsignin1.0

Note: Applies to Windows 10 as well.

Method 2:

If the issue persist, I would also suggest you to run the System update readiness command. It detects incorrect manifests, cabinets or registry data, it may replace the incorrect data with corrected version available. Follow the steps.

1. Press Windows key + X.
  2. Click command prompt (Run as administrator).
  3. In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type the following commands. Press Enter key after each command:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

To close the Administrator: Command prompt window, type Exit, and then press Enter.  

I suggest you to go through the below link and see if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/edge-privacy-faq

I hope the information helps. If not please feel free to reply back with the updated status and we will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing a few trouble using Edge. Let me help you resolve the issue.

This issue might have occurred due to some corrupted system files.

Follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1:

Let's try to run the System File Checker Scan and see if it helps.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833?wa=wsignin1.0

Note: Applies to Windows 10 as well.

Method 2:

If the issue persist, I would also suggest you to run the System update readiness command. It detects incorrect manifests, cabinets or registry data, it may replace the incorrect data with corrected version available. Follow the steps.

1. Press Windows key + X.
  2. Click command prompt (Run as administrator).
  3. In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type the following commands. Press Enter key after each command:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

To close the Administrator: Command prompt window, type Exit, and then press Enter.  

I suggest you to go through the below link and see if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/edge-privacy-faq

I hope the information helps. If not please feel free to reply back with the updated status and we will be happy to assist you accordingly.

I tried all the steps you recommended and still cannot drag and drop. The DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth came up with no corrupted files; and the sfc /scannow scan said there were no integrity violations. From going through Microsoft Edge and privacy: FAQ section, none of them are any help with this particular issue.

So what to do?

Sorry this didn't help.

Some of the copy-and-pasted responses across this website from Microsoft Support are an embarrassment. The lack of drag and drop has nothing to do with corrupted system files, and the resolution steps posted by the Support Engineer will waste customers' time sending them on a wild goose chase. For now, Microsoft Edge simply does not support drag and drop (!) - see here, here or here

Update: I've found a statement from Microsoft"Fixes for this issue are being treated with top priority and are in development to ship in a future update. We'll provide updates on the timeline as we know more."

72 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the tip fryte. It is frustrating that incorrect advice was given by a Microsoft Support Engineer.

There should be a way of reporting the post and having it marked as irrelevant some how as I almost started following it :)

Thanks Chris

8 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Why is Microsoft so universally stupid, release Edge without drag and drop, thousands of people not getting attachments in their pathetic mail app, for over a year many have not even been able to right click and drag hyperlinks, forums fill of complaints and either no response or the lack lustre nonsense from them about running SFC or other rubbish support. Own it Microsoft, collate all these issues and update us on the progress in fixing them..is that to much to ask?

10 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

This is ridiculous. I'm on a brand new machine. Nothing wrong with it. The simple fact is that MS does not support d-n-d.  MS needs to fix this or I'll bag Edge and go back to Chrome.

7 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Klarno,

Not sure I follow?

The latest build of Edge\Windows 10 supports drag and drop. There are other issues with Edge and I've moved to Firefox. Curiously I find Firefox works better with Onedrive and Outlook.com than Edge does and this was also the case with IE 11. Microsoft are slow on the uptake but the drag and drop issue has been resolved :)

Sorry this didn't help.

I just upgraded to Windows 10 and am using Edge. Only problem is I cannot drag and drop. Whether it's OneDrive/Office 365, uploading to YouTube, or any email app that uses drag and drop (for like attaching files and photos), it won't work using Edge. It's no problem on other browsers like Firefox, even Internet Explorer; but not on Edge.

Hopefully there's a fix or an update resolving this.

• I have been on Win 10 and Edge since June 2016.
  • I was able to drag and drop files in a SP2013 document library until today.
  • I tried it with OneDrive with the same result. I can no longer drag and drop to upload files.

Repeat: Drag and drop worked in my SharePoint 2013 libraries and OneDrive until today.

Was there a recent Win 10 or Edge update that may have broken drag and drop?

Sorry this didn't help.

Arul_D,

Please understand the issue before replying with superfluous information. EDGE DOES NOT SUPPORT DRAG AND DROP. WHY DO YOU SUGGEST FIXING CORRUPTED FILES?

The reason for the "No Entry" symbol when attempting to drop an item into Edge is that Edge has not implemented the "OnDrop" callback which is part of the Windows API. How is it I know this and you don't, yet you are a Microsoft engineer?

All these Microsoft forums seem to have inept Microsoft staff who willy nilly suggest fixing corrupt files without actually understanding the underlying issues. Microsoft should be ashamed of themselves by hiring useless staff and giving them a template to work off. PLEASE ALLOW ORIGINAL MICROSOFT DEVELOPMENT TEAM TO ANSWER QUESTIONS HERE!

20 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I've had this machine for one week....it was fine until Windows 10 update a couple days ago....guess I'll go to explorer or download firefox or chrome.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 13, 2020 Views 11,652 Applies to: