Error Code 2503 & 2502 when installing .msi file

I've seen multiple posts with the same issue but no solution or reason why this problem occures.

I'm on Windows 8.1 and I'm trying to install Charles Proxy (filename: charles-proxy-3.9.2-win64.msi) but keep getting Error Code 2502 and 2503 while installing. I have a Windows 8.1 computer at work where I haven't had the same issues. Yet. This file doesn't allow me to "Run As Administrator". I'm guessing it is because it is a .msi file? 

This have happened before on other installations. Then I solved it by restarting explorer.exe as admin. This is how ever a bad work-around. I want the issue solved once and for all.

Things I've tried without any luck:

• Clean boot
  • Microsoft Security Scanner (or what it's called) with no infected files found
  • Uninstalled AVG Anti Virus
  • MSIEXEC /UNREGISTER & MSIEXEC /REGSERVER
  • Made sure Windows Installer Service was running

None of these methods worked.

I first noticed this issue a few months back when the e-mail client eM Client failed to update with the same error. As far as I remember, nothing specific changed on the machine before that. Except from the usual Windows Updates.

It would be awesome if someone at MS could comment about this issue more than the usual copy/paste answer with the above suggestions.

Answer
Answer

I've been able to solve this problem now using the tip in this thread:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-windows_install/windows-8-install-some-software-using-msi/48881523-1a5d-4c43-abc4-01b1ce3ebf3a

All I needed to do was to give my user full access to the folder: C:\Windows\Temp

You should add that to your copy/paste-answer on what to try. :)

Thanks for your help, anyway!

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 14, 2021 Views 5,324 Applies to: