Question

Error: 0x80073712 when installing KB 2919355

Vinod Archak asked on

This error might mean that a file needed by Windows Update is damaged or missing. Here are a few steps that have solved the error for other community members:

1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.

(If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, and then click Search.)

1. Enter command prompt in the search box.
  2. In the list of results, swipe down on or right-click Command Prompt, and then tap or click Run as administrator.
  3. In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, enter the following commands. Press the Enter key after each command.

If you're running a 64-bit version of Windows 8.1, type:

dism /online /remove-package /packagename:Package_for_KB2919355~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.3.1.14

If you're running a 32-bit version of Windows 8.1, type:

dism /online /remove-package /packagename:Package_for_KB2919355~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.3.1.14

If you're running Windows RT 8.1, type:

dism /online /remove-package /packagename:Package_for_KB2919355~31bf3856ad364e35~arm~~6.3.1.14

1. Type the following command, and then press Enter:
    dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
  2. Type the following command, and then press Enter:
    dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup

1. Install the Windows 8.1 Update from the download center.

Windows 8.1 Update (32-bit version)

Windows 8.1 Update (64-bit version)

If you have followed these steps and you still receive error 0x80073712, log files may need to be collected and reviewed. Please contact Microsoft Support so that we can further investigate your issue.

Vinod Archak
Forum Moderator
36 people had this question

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer

4 people found this helpful

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
Jim134 replied on

RH6M6,

I saw the kb2969339 update come through this morning a good 6 hours before the normal patch Tuesday updates were to be released and thought it was strange. Applied it to the final computer tonight and ran Windows Update. KB2919355 went right through and installed and the rest of the updates are now being installed. Hope this solution works for others.  Thanks.

Jim

2 people found this helpful

Abuse history

Most Helpful Reply
LukeRobertson replied on

Neither of these processes even work for my laptop (new model laptop as of last year that came with Windows 8 preinstalled).

Microsoft - instead of trying to give US work-arounds, how about you modify YOUR update to be compatible with our machines. The fact that thousands of machines (or 10's or 100's of thousands) cannot be updated leads to an almost certainty that the programming of the update is not adequate. I paid for a laptop that was running Windows - therefore I paid money to you for this Software. You have a responsibility to provide updates (especially security ones) for a reasonable lifetime. You are currently not meeting your requirements in this relationship.

I need help - please assist.

Regards,

Luke.

30 people found this helpful

Abuse history

progress