This error may be cause by CBS (Component Based Servicing) corruption.
Run the DISM tool
- Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.
(If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, and then click Search.)
- Type command prompt in the search box.
- In the list of results, swipe down on or right-click Command Prompt, and then tap or click Run as administrator.
- In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, enter the following commands. Press the Enter key after each command:
- DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
- DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
- To close the Administrator: Command prompt window, type Exit, and then press Enter.
- Run Windows Update again.
If you use the DISM commands and you still experience Error 0x80070490 please contact Microsoft Support so that we can further investigate your issue.