Error: 0x80070490 when installing KB 2919355

This error may be cause by CBS (Component Based Servicing) corruption.

Run the DISM tool

1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.

(If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, and then click Search.)

1. Type command prompt in the search box.
  2. In the list of results, swipe down on or right-click Command Prompt, and then tap or click Run as administrator.
  3. In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, enter the following commands. Press the Enter key after each command:
    1. DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
    2. DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
  4. To close the Administrator: Command prompt window, type Exit, and then press Enter.
  5. Run Windows Update again.

If you use the DISM commands and you still experience Error 0x80070490 please contact Microsoft Support so that we can further investigate your issue.
|

***It appears I have stumbled upon a fix for all KB2919355 issues and will be posting this to numerous forum threads***

As many discoveries have been made, I discovered this accidentally. and quite by coincidence... 

In order for users, who've been plagued by errors and file corruption, to get a successful completion of KB2919355, all that's needed is to run the 8.1 upgrade installer, and when the 8.1 installed goes to the wait screen after entering the generic product key, start Windows Update for the install of KB2919355

Steps

1. Run the Windows 8.1 installer from within Windows, as if you're going to do an install repair "upgrade".
  2. Enter the generic product key, and upon clicking next, the installer will say wait... 
  3. Give the installer about 5 minutes, then start Windows Update (it should show the KB2919355 update), and click install.
  4. Windows Update will begin downloading the update... if you have a Windows Update cache problem that causes the speed and percentage to remain at zero, don't worry about it and get the update installed first, then you can clear the cache and remove the directories afterwards.
  5. The install may fail, don't worry... simply hit install again, making sure the 8.1 installer screen is still on the "wait" screen, as whatever the installer is doing during the "wait" screen is what makes the KB2919355 install possible. 
  6. KB2919355 should install and Windows Update should request you to restart... simply do so without cancelling the 8.1 installer.  Windows will finalize the update during the shutdown and restart processes.
  7. Upon rebooting into Windows, you will have a multitude of additional updates that will need to be installed (around 10, give or take a few), and you can verify the install of KB2919355 by going to "view installed updates" 

A few users will need to comment back once they'e performed this in order to see if this automatically fixes the multitude of issues users are facing, and if it doesn't complete successfully, then I can back track what step I took over the past several days in order to figure out what caused this to work for me, but not others if problems occur.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for this solution.

This solution resolved my issue but led to the Error: 0x800F0923 when installing KB 2919355 issue  being reported.

Darrall

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 16, 2019 Views 2,771 Applies to: