Dell Venue 8 WiFi adapter cannot be enabled following December 10 Updates

PC:  Dell Venue 8 Pro with Windows 8.1

Last night I got a number of updates (I think it was 22 Important and 1 Optional). After they installed, the tablet's wifi stopped working. I can use System Restore to go back to before the updates and it is fine again, but then the updates break the wifi when they install.

Specifically, the wifi adapter itself cannot be enabled from "network adapters" in the network/sharing center.  Clicking "Enable this network connection" shows the "enabling..." dialog for a few seconds, but the adapter remains disabled.  However, under Device Manager the device is listed as OK and "working properly" in the status.  No new driver was installed for the device during the updates, so there is no driver to roll back to.

Some fellow nerd has discovered it was two specific patches that cause the problem and wrote about it here. http://aurir.wordpress.com/2013/12/09/having-wifi-issues-with-dell-venue-pro-8-uninstall-microsoft-patch-kb2887595/

I've chatted with Microsoft Answer Techs online via the Microsoft Store website, and have opened case number 1226838593 for this issue. I've been told it is being escalated for a fix to the patch.

Question Info

Last updated August 25, 2018 Views 3,561 Applies to:
Removing the two updates did fix the issue, but obviously I would like an up-to-date system :)

Shawn "Cmdr" Keene | Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider | CmdrKeene.com | tweet me: @LtCmdrKeene
Microsoft MVPs are independent experts offering real-world answers. Learn more at mvp.microsoft.com.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Shawn,

Yes you should definitely keep your system up to date.   I would take a look at this post and see if the steps get wireless working for you.

Sorry this didn't help.

So did anyone made a fix for this issues 

I'm having the same problem

Sorry this didn't help.

Microsoft & Dell, where we care, but not about you...

So did anyone made a fix for this issues 

I'm having the same problem

Sorry this didn't help.

Still looking for fix.  Not enough space to do a recovery and no way to connect to internet to look up other problems.  A tablet without internet isn't good for anything but a drink coaster.

Sorry this didn't help.

Remove the two updates that caused the issue by running the RSTRUI.EXE utility, then after you reboot it will now have restored your WiFI abilities.  Then you can connect and get the new non-faulty updates.  Worked on my 4 Dell Venue 8 Pro tablets (I bought them for 99 dollars each on sale and gave one to every person in my familiy).
Shawn "Cmdr" Keene | Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider | CmdrKeene.com | tweet me: @LtCmdrKeene
Microsoft MVPs are independent experts offering real-world answers. Learn more at mvp.microsoft.com.

Sorry this didn't help.

It's just a driver problem. Hate to be brief but just use the supplied driver installer from dell to uninstall. Restart. Then reinstall. Restart. Fixed! http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER03618513M/1/5830_Network_Driver_Y3DWJ_WN32_3.7.2.63705_A05.EXE

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.