After April Updates there is a 25 seconds delay in windows explorer toolbar

There is a big delay(about 25 seconds) in windows Explorer to show big red Delete X button and History button in toolbar when selecting files. The big RED delete X(not the close x) button is dim and becomes red after almost 25 sec's and same thing happens to history button. By that time Right click select Delete for this file works ok. This happens only first time opening a folder and even if operating system is on for a long time.

System

Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit

AMD FX8320 on Asrock 970Extreme 3

8 GB G.Skill 1866MHz

NVidia GTX550ti

Samsung SSD EVO 250

Question Info

Last updated July 7, 2018 Views 650 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Which April updates did you install?

Have you installed any May updates?

Are you referring to Windows Explorer or Internet Explorer?

Figure 1: Windows Explorer Desktop

Figure 2: Modern [AKA Metro; Immersive] Internet Explorer 11

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I am referring to Windows Explorer.

There are all April Updates and May Updates installed, including KB2919355. I was away from home for one month(April) so all April Updates were installed at May 4.

Problem did not exist before them. No other software is installed by that time. Security software is Windows Defender.

There is also a minor problem with Internet Explorer that happens very few times(once a day or once every two days). The opened tabs in Internet Explorer do not close but only after about 30 seconds that the little x is pressed for each tab or whole Internet Explorer. The tabs remain blank but they do not close. This is not a serious problem but when it happens is very annoying.

Generally those are not serious problems but suddenly appeared from nowhere.

Sorry this didn't help.

[Judging from your "Me, too" reply to another thread, it looks like Internet Explorer's not working properly either.]

Please answer each of the following [admittedly tedious] diagnostic questions in a correspondingly-numbered list in your very next reply, preferablywithout quoting this post:

1a. When (approx. date) did you purchase the computer?

1b. Did the computer come with Win8 (or Win8.1) preinstalled, did you do a clean install of Win8 (or Win8.1), or did you upgrade a (e.g., Win7) computer to Win8?

1c. Assuming you started with Win8 => When (approx. date) was Win8.1 installed?

2. Has a(nother) Norton application or a McAfee application EVER been installed on the computer since you bought it?

3. Did a Norton free-trial or a McAfee free-trial [pick one] come preinstalled on the computerwhen you bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.)

4a. When (exact date) was KB2919355 installed according to Installed Updates (not Update History)? [1]

4b. Is KB2953522, KB2926765, KB2957151 and/or KB2939153 listed in Installed Updates (not Update History)?

5. Is Modern IE11 (AKA IE11 Metro) and Desktop IE11 working OK otherwise?

6. Is Firefox, Chrome or any other alternate browser installed?

7. Is Adobe Flash Player v13.0.0.214 for Internet Explorer installed? TEST HERE USING INTERNET EXPLORER ONLY! => http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ [copy/paste the link into a new window or tab, if need be]

8. Are you in the habit of using "Registry cleaners" (e.g., Registry Mechanic; System Mechanic; RegCure; RegClean Pro; Advanced SystemCare; Registry Booster; McAfee QuickClean; Glary Utilities; AVG PC TuneUp; Norton Registry Cleaner; PCTools Optimiser; SpeedUpMyPC; PC Doctor; TuneUp Utilities; WinMaximizer; WinSweeper; Comodo System Cleaner; Advanced System Optimizer; CCleaner's Registry Cleaner component)?

=======================================================
[1] Control Panel | Programs and Features | View installed updates (in left-hand menu)

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for interest.

I noticed by running Samsung Magician, that performance of my EVO 250 had fall more than 20% in read and more than 50% at write comparing to previous test before April and May Updates.

Decided to restore my initial windows 8.1 image I created at December 2013 in DVD's after updating my Windows 8 pro to 8.1 pro. Everything works fine again and I am not going to install any Update of those "new styling" Kb2919355 or any other until all problems people complain will be solved. I know this is risky but I don't mind. Software installed was office 2010 with all updates, corel paintshop pro x6, corel video studio ultimate x6, there were no habit software in my pc, no other browser or antivirus, adobe was version 13.0.0.214, I am not using metro style ie so I don't know if problem existed there and finally all April and May Updates were installed successfully. There was a great "pain" for me in the past with ie and NVidia's drivers, lasted more than 6 months(nvidia kernel mode driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered), finally NVidia and possibly Microsoft, solved since driver 332.21, and I would no way like to experiment in new features.

Thank you again PA Bear

Sorry this didn't help.

You have until Tuesday, 10 June 2014 to get KB2919355 installed, Mike. Good luck!

<QP>
...we’ve decided to extend the requirement for our consumer customers to update their devices to the Windows 8.1 Update [i.e., KB293955] in order to receive security updates another 30 days to June 10th. As noted previously, consumer customers who do not [have KB2919355 installed] by this new deadline will [receive no further] updates.

</QP>
Source: http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/windowsexperience/archive/2014/05/12/windows-8-1-update-requirement-extended.aspx

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi PA Bear

I re-installed KB2919355 but unfortunately problem came back.

By searching I found this which is exactly the same problem for me which is magically solved when I am using my Microsoft account:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-performance/after-installing-windows-81-update-kb2919355/b178c10b-a2b4-4955-8361-c442df737cb1

Sorry this didn't help.

[1] I re-installed KB2919255 but unfortunately problem came back.

[2] I found this which is exactly the same problem for me which is magically solved when I am using my Microsoft account:

<QP>
This issue can occur with Windows 8.1 Update installed if your OneDrive folder has been created for your user profile (typically at C:\Users\<Username>\OneDrive), and you are not signed into your Microsoft account. In this scenario, the system is attempting to link the OneDrive service to your Microsoft account, but when it is unable to, the system hangs until the attempt times out after 30 seconds.

If you have Microsoft Office 2013 Home and Business or Personal edition installed, the OneDrive folder might be created without setting up a Microsoft account. This can also occur if you create and then disconnect your Microsoft account.

Microsoft is actively investigating the issue, and we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience. For now, you can work around the issue by signing into a Microsoft account.

If you prefer not, or cannot, sign into a Microsoft account (for example, if your system administrator set a group policy that forbids signing into a Microsoft account), you can also resolve the issue by renaming the C:\Users\<Username>\OneDrive folder within an elevated command prompt.  To do this:

1) Press the Windows key and the X key at the same time, and select Command Prompt (Admin).

2) In the command prompt window, type the command below and press Enter:

REN C:\Users\<Username>\OneDrive FolderName

In the above command, replace <Username> with the name of your user account, and replace FolderName with a name of your choosing.  If your system drive is not the C: drive, you will also need to substitute the appropriate drive letter.

Note that you must rename the folder from the command prompt -- it will not always work correctly if you rename the folder using Windows Explorer.

</QP>
Source: http://answers.microsoft.com/thread/b178c10b-a2b4-4955-8361-c442df737cb1

Interesting & thanks for posting the results of your research.

A1a. Is KB2953522, KB2926765, KB2957151 and/or KB2939153 listed in Installed Updates (not Update History) now?

A1b. Is Adobe Flash Player v13.0.0.214 for Internet Explorer installed? TEST HERE USING INTERNET EXPLORER ONLY! => http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about

A2a. Did you decide to sign-in to your Microsoft account or did you rename the OneDrive folder to resolve the delay?

A2b. Had you been signing-in to a Local account and if so, were you signing-in to the local account or a Microsoft account before you installed KB2919355?

TIP: If you subscribe to that thread, you'll receive an email alert if and when a Moderator replies to it to share the conclusions of MS's investigation (and, possibly, fix that will let you sign-in to a Local account without seeing the delay).

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you too PA Bear for your interest and quick response to my problem.

- KB2953522, KB2926765, KB2957151 and KB2939153 are in Installed Updates.

- Adobe Flash Player v13.0.0.214 is also installed for Internet Explorer.

- Both local and Microsoft were used before KB2919355. Mostly local one for more than 99% and Microsoft account only for Apps Store.

- The above solution(Renaming C:\Users\user_name\SkyDrive to SkyDriveNew) worked for me.

Since Microsoft is actively investigating the issue I am simply waiting for the solution.

Thank you again

Sorry this didn't help.

Kewl.

And is OneDrive working OK now or...?

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Sorry this didn't help.

If logged in using Microsoft account, then folder C:\Users\user_name\SkyDrive is re-created and OneDrive is ok. But when logout Microsoft account and login using Local account problem comes back.

Also tried by stopping OneDrive synchronization and also by Prevent the usage of SkyDrive in Group Policy Editor but none of them worked.

I have to continue using Microsoft or rename SkyDrive to something else. At least till problem is fixed.

Sorry this didn't help.