Windows store doesn't open

I know there are lots of threads in this but nothing has worked. I click on the store and it merely loads but never opens. Nothing happens it will just load. I have had this for weeks and i am running 8.1. Any help would be great. thank you

Question Info

Last updated November 29, 2018 Views 35,079 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Okay, here is what I did and what didn't work (always ending store and store broker tasks via task manager after each attempt) and what ended up working . . .

1. Microsoft Store Diagnostic Program: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=268423; It detected a couple errors - no Microsoft account (I do have one, but use local account on computer) and store settings have been changed. Didn't really help me in fixing these issues.

2. Run CMD as administrator to re-register the Store App: powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRoot\WinStore\AppxManifest.XML. Seemed to run okay, but I still couldn't access the store.

3. Press Windows + R keys to open Run window. Type in wsreset.exe and click ok. Again, I still couldn't access the store. This automatically opened the store, but again, stuck on green window and dots going in circle nonstop.

4. Changed from local to Microsoft account - still didn't work.

5. FINALLY worked!! Kill Store and Store Broker from task list again. Rename the Cache folder to CacheOld at. C:\Users/(Your User Account)\AppData\Local\Packages\WinStore_xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx\LocaalState.

Rename folder called Cache into CacheOld, Create an empty folder with name Cache. That’s all. If you want to revert changes just delete Cache and Rename CacheOld into Cache. Bingo it works - even with my local account!!!

I know this issue started with this weeks updates on Tuesday. Seems like I rarely go through a Microsoft monthly update without some issues of some sort to have to figure out. I hope this helps people.

32 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hi Ramiz,

• Did you find corrupted system files after running SFC scan?

First, try running The Microsoft Account Troubleshooter and check if it helps:

I would like to let you know about basic information before running any app:

1. User Account Control settings must be enabled.
    Note: User Account Control (UAC) notifies you before changes are made to your PC that requires administrator-level permission. By default, UAC is set to notify you whenever apps try to make changes to your PC, but you can change how often UAC notifies you.
  2. To snap apps, you need a screen resolution of at least 1366 x 768.
  3. Requires Microsoft Account.

Since you mentioned you are able to open Windows Store in another user account. It seems that your user account might be corrupted. Let’s try these steps and check if it helps:

If you have another administrator account that is not affected, then sign out of the affected account, and sign in to the other administrator account. If you do not have another administrator account then create new administrator account.

I would suggest you to create a new user account and move the data from Corrupted Profile to new user account.

Step 1: Refer to the link to create an account;

Create a user account

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/create-user-account

Step 2: Copy old files to new profile:

a) Navigate to C:\Users\Corrupted_Profile_Name\. The profile name will be the corrupted profile name.

b) Copy all the files.

c) Open Control panel and Folder View options uncheck Hide protected operating system files.

d) Navigate to C:\Users\Corrupted_Profile_Name and copy Appdata folder.

Note: Do not copy these three files.

NtUser.dat, NtUser.ini, NtUser.log.

Navigate to C:\Users\New_Profile_Name\.

Paste all those files here.

Hope this helps.

John Rubdy
Forum Moderator | Microsoft Community

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.