Problems with Skype on windows 8.1

Hi,
I recently upgraded to 8.1 but seem to have a unique problem (at least I can't find anything about it on the web).
I can find skype in store through my start menu.  It says I "own the app and can install it".  When I click to install
it does install it and appears in top right hand corner as installed.  Clicking there gets me into skype and it works
perfectly.  However, once I leave skype I can't get back into it without going through the same process again.
No tile appears in the start menu, and nothing appears in apps either.  In fact, if I search apps it shows up as
not installed and allows me to install it again, and again.
I have successfully downloaded skype for desktops, but would prefer the windows version.
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Gillian

Hi Gill,

You may face this issue if App license is not synced. Follow these methods and check if it helps:

Method 1: Run the Apps troubleshooter. This tool can automatically identify and fix some problems with apps.

Please go through the following link for troubleshooting further if the troubleshooter does not help:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/what-troubleshoot-problems-app

Method 2: If those steps don't help, let's try uninstalling the Skype App using PowerShell. The steps below will take you through using PowerShell to remove a Metro style app:

a)       Enter the Start screen

b)       Press Windows key + C on your keyboard to show the Charms bar (If you are using a touchscreen: Touch the right edge of your screen and slide your finger toward the center of the screen to show the Charms bar)

c)       Click Search

d)       Type PowerShell into the search field

e)       Right click Windows PowerShell

f)        Click Run as administrator

g)       Click Yes

h)       Enter the command: Get-AppxPackage –AllUsers

This will display a list of all of the Metro style apps that are installed on your system. Find the Metro style app that you want to uninstall and make a note of the "PackageFullName". You'll need this information for the next step.

i)         Enter the command: Remove-AppxPackage TypeFullPackageNameHere
(for example: Remove-AppxPackage microsoft.microsoftskydrive_16.4.3364.511_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe)

Once the command has finished, try installing the Metro style app that you removed to see if you can now install and open the app successfully.

Hope this helps. If you need further assistance with Windows, let us know and will be glad to help.

John Rubdy
Forum Moderator | Microsoft Community

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you so much
I did have to go right through to the last thing to try but it worked just fine.
Thanks again

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 18, 2021 Views 2,685 Applies to: