Question

Q: Error Code 0x80073cf9 Windows Store apps.

I have spent hours and hours researching and attempting all fixes for this issue on this website and others.  To date, nothing has worked and I'm hoping someone can help.

I recently purchased a brand new Desktop PC with Windows 8 pre-installed.  Everything was working fine and I then fully loaded it up with my software programs etc and went with then went with the option to upgrade to Windows 8.1.

The upgrade went perfectly, except for this major issue of the Error Code 0x80073cf9 on attempting to install or update any existing app from the Windows App Store.  Everything else is working fine.

When I select any app to install, It commences the download then almost instantly comes up with this error code.

I've followed the process to reset the Store with the wsreset.exe command.

The AUInstallAgent directory existed on my PC so I didn't have to create a new one.

I checked time/date and location settings, all correct.

I disabled Anti-Virus, but made no difference.

I renamed the SoftwareDistribution folder to .old and rebooted.

I ran System File Checker.  No errors.

I ran the App Troubleshooter.  No errors except for the display drivers, so I updated those to the latest and it still says they are out of date.  This can't be.

I am so frustrated with this issue and it's obviously occurring to many others.  Some are obviously resolving with success by using one or more of the above methods which are suggested on the web, but obviously others, like me, are still having issues.

Does anyone know of another option I haven't considered or tried.  Thanks.

Answer

A:

I've gone through hours trying to get to the bottom of this too, then I saw one post elsewhere which seemed unlikely, but I tried it and it worked.

Create (if it doesn't exist already) the folder C:\Windows\AppReadiness. I rebooted for good measure after creating it... and on restart everything worked as expected.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

175 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 12,507 Last updated: July 18, 2018 Applies to: