Windows 8.1 update to 8.1B fails with error code 0x80073712

I installed this update on my Surface Pro tablet just fine, but it will not install on my desktop computer.

I get an error 0x80073712 and the instructions for dealing with that error say to use the Command Prompt and type in these instructions:

DISM.exe /Online / Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

and

DISM.exe /Online ?Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

But there is no such command for DISM.

When I type it in I get an error and it tells me to type DISM /? to get a list of available instructions ( or something like that ) and in the list it gives there is no such instruction / command as Cleanup-image.

What should I do?

Question Info

Last updated February 22, 2018 Views 4,947 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Summary
Windows 8.1 Update continues Microsoft’s refinement of its current version of Windows, presenting even greater accessibility to functionality such as Power and Search once hidden in hot corners and menus. Other noticeable changes include title bars, minimize and close buttons now available in modern apps. Another great feature includes the ability to pin your favourite modern apps to the Windows Taskbar. Lets take a quick look at getting it up and running on a Windows 8.1 install.
Details

Please note, before you can install this update, you need to first ensure you Windows 8.1 installed. If you have Windows 8 which was launched in October 2012, this update will not apply to you. If you want to take advantage of the improvements offered in the Windows 8.1 Update, see instructions at the following link how to upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1:

http://techingiteasy.wordpress.com/2013/10/17/how-to-upgrade-from-windows-8-to-windows-8-1/

Backup:

Just as a precaution, you should backup your computer.

See the following How To Geek article about how to do so:

http://www.howtogeek.com/167984/how-to-create-and-restore-system-image-backups-on-windows-8.1/

Please note, this is standalone Windows Update installers I am using which requires installation in a specific order. On April 8th, Windows Update will take care of this, but for this article sake, I will describe the experience. Depended on your system, Windows 8.1 Update 1 is provided as 6 updates, in my case, I only needed to apply 5, since KB2919442 was already installed.

Recommended Install Order
1.  KB2919442
2.  KB2919355
3.  KB2932046
4.  KB2937592
5.  KB2938439
6.  KB2949621

Download links for Windows 8.1 Update x86:

KB2919355
KB2919442
KB2932046
KB2937592
KB2938439
KB2949621-v2 (Windows Server 2012 R2 only)

Download links for Windows 8.1 Update x64:

KB2919355
KB2919442
KB2932046
KB2937592
KB2938439
KB2949621-v2 (Windows Server 2012 R2 only)

Download links for Windows 8.1 Update ARM:

KB2919355
KB2919442
KB2932046
KB2937592
KB2938439

The biggest one of them all is KB2919355, which took quite a while to install. In fact, I did this on my work computer around 3:30 PM and I leave work at 4:30, KB2919355 took about 30 minutes be completed and required a reboot. I recommend you do this at a convenient time.

The other updates like KB2932046 called Feature Updates, took less time, but each required a reboot. I stopped after the 3rd and finished up the next day, this means, you don't have install all of them right away. After KB2919355, the unique features started to show up, such as Power and Search options appearing on the Start Screen. I understand that boot to desktop is automatically enabled on mouse and keyboard only systems. I already had this enabled.

The other feature updates completed quickly and I was ready to utilize the improvements in Windows 8.1.

Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the response and the links to the files to download.

I downloaded them but the 355 file will not install.

It says it is installing and after a long time the green progress bar goes all the way across so it looks like it is completely installed but then a message pops up that says the update WAS NOT installed.

The first time I rebooted after trying to install it, it sat there for over an hour saying it would shut down after the operations were completed but it never does shut down.

So I hit the reset button and forced a restart and it did boot up but just into Windows 8.1 not 8.1B.

No power button or search icon on the metro page.

I just tried to install the 355 file again and got the same results where it says it did not install but I have not tried to restart it again yet.

I ran System File Checker and it found no problems.

I did a boot time virus scan with my AVAST Premium and it found no problem.

I tried the instructions to type in the command prompt some stuff about DISM.exe  and it said the file was repairable and the operations completed satisfactorily but when i went to the next step it said it couldn't find the file!!

This was a real surprise to me because my Surface Pro tablet took the update to 8.1B with no problem and the desktop computer seems to run just fine ... but it will not accept the update.

What can I do next?

PS. I just tried to uninstall the KB2919442 UPDATE and it would not uninstall. When I click on it I do not get the menu popup to uninstall like I do if I click on one of the other updates.

I suspect the 442 update was somehow corrupted and that is preventing this update to 8.1B from working ... but I can't uninstall it ... big problem.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem, I am unable to instal KB2919355 because of problem 0x80073712

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm sorry to hear you have the problem too, but also glad that I'm not the only one :)

I have discovered that on my computer the previous update KB2919442 appears to be defective.

It is one of the updates listed in the package of links the previous responder sent but when I try to uninstall it, it will not uninstall even though it says it was installed successfully. I hope your problem is easier to solve.

I have the same problem, I am unable to instal KB2919355 because of problem 0x80073712

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey,

Try these and check:

Open command prompt as administrator.

type the command as given below:

wusa.exe /uninstall /kb:2919442

Restart the computer and then download this update again from this link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2919442/en-us

After the download, install it on the computer. Now, download and install the update: KB2919355 from the link:

Sorry this didn't help.

Try these and check:

Open command prompt as administrator.

type the command as given below:

wusa.exe /uninstall /kb:2919442

KB2919442 cannot be uninstalled, so it won't work.

In fact, same problem here, all previous updates are installed, dism and sfc /scannow passed without issue, antivirus/firewall disabled, but kb2919355 won't install.

I can't restore the computer, too much heavy applications to reinstall before my exams, I don't have any restore point for the kb2919442

What about an upgrade with a "Windows 8.1 with update" ISO? And how to get them (via microsoft if possible, don't like torrent sites) if we don't have MSDN subscription?

Sorry this didn't help.

Didn't work. I got an popup error message that said:

Windows Update Standalone Installer

Update For Microsoft Windows ( KB2919442 ) is required by your computer and cannot be uninstalled.

Also, if I go into the Metro UI and open Settings / Change PC Settings / Update and Recovery / Review Update History ... the 2919442 update is NOT shown.

But, from Control Panel / Windows Updates / installed updates it says the KB2919442 update WAS successfully installed.

Also, if I go into Control Panel / Programs and Features it shows Microsoft OneDrive WAS installed on 4/4/2014 but it shows Skydrive on both the Desktop and Metro UI.

My computer is hosed ( somewhat ) ... still running ... I'm typing on the desktop computer now.

I suspect I need someone at Microsoft to work on this but I don't know the phone number to get an actual human being to talk to you.

Sorry this didn't help.

I am experiencing the same issue. I have tried every Windows Update repair possible. I have had no luck. When I do DISM /online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth it tells me either the source failed or the component is not repairable.

I have tried the KB2919355 update from Windows Update, from MSDN, and from direct links from several different posts and articles.

I would reset my PC and restart but my laptop is a member PC in a corporate domain and the IT offices are not near me. I cannot reset and drop the domain without losing several key domain specific functions that are critical to my job.

Any other suggestions?

I tried uninstalling the first update as well but it isn't uninstallable.

Sorry this didn't help.

OK , got a bit more info. Not good news though eventually it may be.

I found this Microsoft web page where you can get in touch with an actual live person, although they are in India from the use of English and pronunciations.

https://support.microsoft.com/ContactUs

Click on Technical Support and you can get  a Live Chat or have them call you ( which is what I did ).

Got a woman named Kenneth ( yeah LMAO ) but anyway she tried hard for a couple of hours and finally she sent it up to Level 2 because she could not fix it.

The good thing about this is that the failed update has not stopped this computer from working.

So now they are supposed to call me at 9am tomorrow with Level 2 support.

We'll see.

Sorry this didn't help.

Another Microsoft shambles.  I spend more time on updating and repairing my laptop than I do crunching numbers with it.  Have been down this road before with another 'big' update in the past; that one turned out to be unnecessary!!!  I guess this time it is different.  I await the result of your call back with great interest.

DJJ

Sorry this didn't help.