Windows 8.1 update crashes with BSOD IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

Original title :Windows 8.1 update crashes with BSOD, cannot boot up any more!

Hi,

I've just tried to update to Windows 8.1 Pro (French) from Windows 8 Pro (French) today and I'm having some problems:

Before updating I had checked that all the drivers were up-to-date and updated the BIOS for my motherboard (asus  P8Z77-V);

Downloaded the update ok from the Windows Store;

I customised the configuration for the update - I didn't like the default setting for Skydrive - shouldn't have really affected things..?;

The screen displayed that the system was being configured for the update;

BSOD of the type IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL;

The computer rebooted and I get a blank screen and no HD activity after the blue 4 panel windows logo. Upon rebooting I get the same thing. A few reboots,later I get through to the "preparing to repair automatically" screen: the rebooting option doesn't work (I've already tried it); so I try the advanced options:

Quit and continue to windows 8.1 doesn't lead anywhere (same problem as already mentioned);
The other options, well, I haven't really tried them yet - I want to try and recover everything in the best possible way and am not sure what the best course of action might be. So, does anyone have a good idea of how to attack and resolve my problem?

Thanks in advance,

Duncan

Hi Duncan,

What are the troubleshooting steps that you have tried?

This bug check is issued if paged memory (or invalid memory) is accessed when the IRQL is too high.

The error that generates this bug check usually occurs after the installation of a faulty device driver, system service, or BIOS.

If you encounter bug check 0xA while upgrading to a later version of Windows, this error might be caused by a device driver, a system service that is incompatible with the new version.

Let’s try the following methods and check if it helps.

Method 1:

I would suggest you to perform system restore to a point when the computer was working fine.

a.    Insert the media such as (USB or DVD) and restart your computer.

b.    Press F12 key (typically this is F12, but it can differ between computer manufacturers) and choose the drive that you inserted the installation media into.

c.    Once the Windows Setup window appears, follow these steps:

d.    Click next and select Repair your computer.

e.    You will then see a blue screen and an option to choose. Choose the option Troubleshoot and select advanced options.

f.     You may choose System Restore from Advanced boot option.

Note: When you perform System Restore to restore the computer to previous state, programs and updates you installed are removed.

Method 2:

If the issue still persists, I recommend you to perform a startup repair.

Startup Repair is a Windows 8 system recovery tool that can fix certain problems, such as missing or damaged system files.

To perform Automatic repair on Windows 8 computer follow these steps:

a.     Insert the media such as (USB or DVD) and restart your computer.

b.     Press F12 key (typically this is F12, but it can differ between computer manufacturers) and choose the drive that you inserted the installation media into.

c.     Once the Windows Setup window appears, follow these steps:

d.     Click next and select Repair your computer.

e.     You will then see a blue screen and an option to choose. Choose the option Troubleshoot and select advanced options.

f.      You may choose Automatic Repair from Advanced boot option.

Note: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Note: We have send you a Private Message.

Keep us posted on the status of the issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Vijin,

Ok, I've read carefully what you've suggested.

I had thought myself of using a system restore, which normally I had configured, however windows cannot locate any restore points!!?!?! So, that's a no-go!!

The system recovery USB disk that I had created (and tested to check that it worked) under windows 8 is no longer recognised under windows 8.1 (under startup recovery it mentions windows 8.1 at least).
I cannot refresh the computer either - neither my recovery disk, nor my windows 8 installation dvd are recognised.

I've tried the automatic repair from the advanced boot options - it fails :( 

I can boot into windows using Safe Mode (with/without networking). There windows is windows 8.1. Startup recovery doesn't manage to repair the computer, and normal (re)booting fails.

In the devices list there is nothing that looks like its causing a problem (I mean nothing gives a warning about a driver problem explicitly).

I guess that the update was partially successful, but to what degree I don't know.

I've had a private message from one of the forum moderators asking me to supply logs so that he can have a look at what happened. I reply with any further news when I have some...

Thanks in any case,

Duncan

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

HI Duncan,

I have the same issu The update to Windows 8.1 effectivly killed my pc.

I am working on building a windows 8 repairs cd Ill keep you posted on my level off success.

I lost my key in my PC because I cant find the activation key I printed when I purchased the up grade on jan of this year so I am also stuck to get a version of windows to build my recovery dvd.

this upgrade is a lot of joy.

:(

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Vijin,

I have the same problem like Duncan, however my computer refused to load windows. I have gone out and bought a new full windows 8.1 as I couldn't find my old windows 8 upgrade disk, but still no joy as it keep coming up with messages like cant repair system or require more space in the storage where window is located which I cannot improve

Is there anymore i could do. I would have done a reset but i do have some fresh important files on the laptop. please help

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My sister got this app called driver boosters and upgraded drivers unprofessionally and I'm the one always on the computer but my mom will think I installed a virus because of the blue error message..

I have tried both methods but neither of them worked so I'm pretty much going to get in a lot of trouble

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 22, 2018 Views 3,017 Applies to: