Windows 8.1 deactivated itself and can't re-activate

Hi,

I have Windows 8.1 Pro installed (fresh install) and activated. I then added the Media Center feature and successfully activated. Please note that I'm using the Media Center key I purchased when I was on Windows 8. The Windows 8.1 Pro key is however a retail key, not an upgrade key, which I bought later.

Occasionally, I find that Windows 8.1 would deactivate itself from time to time for unknown reasons. Sometimes it does that when I change some BIOS settings. I normally resolve this by using System Restore. However, on my latest occurrence, for some odd reason, there is no available restore point for me to restore to.

Now, when I go to the Activate Windows screen, I'm asked to enter the product key. Entering both the Windows 8.1 Pro key and Media Center key fail with the following message,

"The key can't be used to activate this edition of Windows. Please try a different key"

"The key didn't work, please check it and try again, or try a different key."

I tried the "slmgr /ipk" method and I get the following error,

0xc004f069 for Windows 8.1 Pro key

0xc004f061 for Media Center key

How do I resolve this issue?

Question Info

Last updated December 9, 2018 Views 8,958 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

The only best way to reinstall or recover your Windows 8 resolve such issues..........

Ang Poon Kah

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

The only best way to reinstall or recover your Windows 8 resolve such issues..........

Yeah, I did that, but I can't accept this as the way to resolve the issue. To make it worse, Windows won't allow me to "Refresh your PC" or factory reset. It just display an error.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

What is the error you receive when you try to refresh the operating system?

Refer to this link and try to perform phone activation.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-windows_install/how-can-i-activate-my-windows-8/9c0dfd1b-1143-4c6b-9b25-cca735f89d6e

Also refer to this link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows-8/why-activate-windows

Hope the information provided is helpful. Do reply, if you need further help.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello, I have a very similar problem in that I installed the Media Centre Upgrade and then found that my copy of Windows had been deactivated and whenever I try and activate with either the code that came with my purchase or the original Windows 8 code I am told 'Windows cannot activate, try again later' and the error code 0xC004C4AA. Also I was unable to get the to the screen where an installation ID is generated without running the slui.exe 4 command.

Unfortunatly after generating an ID and following the instructions the automated machine told me it was unable to generate an activation code. It then said it was putting me through to a customer services person then as it seems to do everytime I get told if I am an enterprise customer (which Im not) to contact blah blah blah then it disconnects!

I find it hard to believe that the only way to solve this now is to reinstall the whole OS!

Any help, gratefully received as I cannot get hold of a human being at Microsoft.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Simon,

Did Windows 8 came pre-installed or you installed it by using the retail disk?

Error code: 0xC004C4AA

You might see this error after you used Add features to Windows 8.1 or Add features to Windows 8 to upgrade your current edition of Windows to Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center or Windows 8 Pro with Media Center. You can only activate different editions of Windows on PCs that had Windows preinstalled, or Windows was purchased on the Windows website or at a retail store. To fix the problem, you need to install Windows with the product key provided to you in a purchase confirmation email or with the DVD. If you think you've received this message in error, contact a Microsoft Customer Support representative.

Sorry this didn't help.

My Windows 8 is an upgrade from Windows 7. I installed Media Center using Add Features. It is then upgraded to Windows 8.1

The issue is, it got deactivated from time to time. Once it got deactivated, there is no way to activate it anymore. The product key simply vanished and it is requesting me to enter a product key. I used all the both Windows 8 and Media Center product keys but they are rejected.

The only way to resolve is to do system restore. But system restore is so unstable. Sometimes there is no restore point to restore to. This is what happened to me.

Come on, I'm a legit user, paid for the licenses. Because of this issue, I had to reinstall from Windows 7, upgrade to Windows 8, then add feature Windows media and upgrade to Windows 8.1. Even after this, Windows also keeps deactivating itself from time to time. This is stupid and frustrating.

What is making Windows deactivating itself?

Sorry this didn't help.

I understand that Windows gets deactivated often. Let's try performing a System File Checker scan and see if that helps.

a. Press “WindowsKey +Q” to openCharms Bar.
b. Type “Command prompt” without quotes in the search box.
c. On the left pane, right click on the “Command prompt”option and select “Run as Administrator”.
d. Type ‘sfc /scannow’ without quotes and hit enter.

You may have to perform phone activation and see if it helps. I would also suggest you to refer this article for more information.

Why can't I activate Windows?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/why-activate-windows

Sorry this didn't help.

This is not an answer to the question.    Your solution provided says "tough luck".  You aren't saying why windows is going inactive and causing these problems.  Until yesterday when I did an update I had no problems--now it is telling me to activate hourly and I don't have the right key because it is from win 8.0.  I talked with support and they told me to buy 8.1 to get a key.  When MS makes an error in software that causes these problems you either need to provide a key or make it so that this doesn't happen.  8.1 is a free upgrade to 8.0.  I cannot return to 8.0--I get an error trying to do so.

Sorry this didn't help.

I totally agree with you on this.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have tried performing SFC and it never found any errors.

Sorry this didn't help.