We couldn't update the system reserved partition. Something happened and Windows 8.1 couldn't be installed. Please try again. Error code: 0xc1900104

Origtinal title : windows 8.1 install

oops! forgot the pictures

My efforts to up-grade to 8.1 from windows 8 Pro fail on every attempt (about eight or nine attempts so far) with a message as follows:

"Couldn't install windows 8.1

We couldn't update the system reserved partition. Something happened and Windows 8.1 couldn't be installed. Please try again. Error code: 0xc1900104."

On each occasion the progress bar for the download was at about 60%. As all this happens while in the ghastly Store mode, I do not know how to get a screenshot of a non-desktop  application.

I tried to do a repair job on my Windows 8 system from the ISO disc. It comes up with a similar message after doing a bit of loading of the Windows 8 files. I enclose a screenshot of this and also a screenshot of my Windows 8 partition, with hidden files on view. This shows that the system is reporting my Windows 8 partition has 100 GB free of 195 GB.

I did have Windows 8.1 preview running for about four months in dual boot with Windows 8. I removed that from the startup sequence through Control Panel, and then reformatted the partition that had been in.

I would much prefer to do a clean install of Windows 8.1 from an ISO disk, but apparently this is not being made available. In the past, I have always done clean installs when new versions of Windows came out, starting with Windows 3.1.

Can anyone help me with this?

Henry Mangan

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I'm getting the same error.
Asus Eee Pc 1215B, 256 SSD, 2 partitions (1 - Windows 8 Pro and other software; 2- Documents and Files)
How to solve it?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Henry,

Thanks for the detailed information on the issue. From what you have described, it appears that there is some issue with the Windows 8 installation, most probably caused when you removed the Windows 8.1 dual boot installation. Let’s try to resolve this issue in Windows 8 and then try the upgrade once again. Let’s try these steps to resolve the issue:

Method 1:

First, I would suggest you to run the System file checker. System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Refer to these steps to perform a SFC scan:

a)      Press Windows key + X, select Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated command prompt

b)      In the command prompt type the following command: sfc/scannow and press enter

c)       Now, restart the computer.

Method 2:

If no corrupted system files were found in the previous state, then I would suggest you to try the following steps:

a)      Open command prompt by pressing Windows key + X and selecting “Command prompt admin”.

b)      In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command.

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

c)       Close the command prompt after this step.

Now, restart the computer and try installing Windows 8.1. Keep us updated on the results. I would also appreciate if you could let us know the make and model of the computer and the system specifications in your reply.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It doesn't work for me. The results of the commands don't show any problem with my computer.
Event viewer has system error:
"Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x8024200D: English ESD Bundle Parent."

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I solved my problem following this steps:

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1173903-win81upgradecouldnt-update-the-system-reserved-partition-error/?p=595944605

Be careful to do anything correctly!

I have Windows 8.1 now!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same issue as Henry. But your proposed solution did not work for me too. :-(

German Win 8, ThinkPad Edge, Core2Duo, GB, 160GB SSD.

@Ben: What are you thoughts on TWoods123 proposed way?

Thanks,
Christian

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for all your suggestions. Ben, I implemented your suggestions, but no change in outcome. I have also tried the TWoods suggested link and went through all the suggestions there, but also with no change. I have however noticed the following very strange situation. Having removed the unnecessary languages folders from the System drive, and run the cleanup command, with limitation of the log file to 5 MB, the message at the end of this procedure, in the command window, indicated that there was 65 MB free space on the System drive. Hooray! But celebrated too soon. Exactly the same errors as before. I tried the cleanup procedure again on the System partition, again with 65 MB free space reported. On looking at the drive immediately after the cleanup, in Computer, and in Disk Management, only 13MB free is reported. So, where is the missing 52 MB, without which I can understand my dreaded message from 8.1 installation - "We couldn't update the system reserved partition."

I would be grateful if any light can be shone on this. Otherwise I will have to do a total clean reboot of Windows 8, followed by a further attempt to up-grade to 8.1.

I would love to hear that at some point it will be possible to get Windows 8.1 on an ISO download. Up to now I have always had this option for when trouble arrived - such as disk write-offs or whatever. It really would be a pain in the neck to always have to face the "going back to clean Windows 8 installation" routine in the future.

Once again, many thanks for all your efforts.

Henry

Hewlett-Packard HPE-590uk x64-based PC
Intel Core i7-2600 cpu @ 3.40Ghz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Cores, 8 Logical Processors
16 GB Installed Memory
Two Sata internal hard drives, 1.5 TB and 500GB
Windows 8 Pro with Media Center

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok I did the sfc/scannow and it said there are corrupted files and some could not be repaired. I can not open the cbs.log to look at it. What now ?? Please be as concise as possible as I am not a computer nerd, just a normal user.  My computer is Lenovo Idea Center B520 with I7 Intel processor, 16 GB ram and 2 Tetra Byte hard drive. It came with windows 7 installed and I upgrader to windows 8 with purchased CD. I would like to up[date to windows 8.1 for the additional usability. I get 0cx1900104 error " We couldn't update the System Reserved Partition" This partition is now 100MB and I can not find a way to increase the size' Thanks for your reply.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ben, once again many thanks for your suggestions. However I found a reference in another thread on this topic I discovered the benefits of a freeware repartitioning tool - minitool partitioning wizard which worked perfectly on my System partition, to expand it properly. I am now happily running Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Centre, and all my programmes and data intact.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

sfc/scannow found errors it couldn't correct. What's the next step?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same problem as Henry.  Windows 8.1 will not update.

I followed "Method: 1" and "Method: 2" to the letter and I'm getting the same message as Henry did. Like the process did nothing to correct the installation.  On each Method the command reads, it was "successfully completed".  So I know, I did the process correctly.

Any other suggestions?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 11, 2019 Views 54,235 Applies to: