There will be no ISO downloads of Windows 8.1 for the public.

Microsoft has made it known there will be no .ISO file for Windows 8.1 available to the general public.

"Consumers" here really means any copies of Windows 8 that weren't purchased through Microsoft's Volume Licensing programs. So a small business with 20 PCs to upgrade, for example, will have to do them one at a time via the Windows Store – so that's 20 separate 3.5GB downloads.

The Windows Store is the only way for consumers (non-enterprise, non-IT Pro) to download and install Windows 8.1. No ISOs will be made available, so each device needs to be updated individually via the Windows Store.

UPDATE:

Since I started this discussion, Microsoft has introduced a Media Creation Tool that makes it easy to download a .ISO file and create bootable media:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

The new downloader allows for selection of:

Language

Windows 8.1 Version

Architecture

Discussion Info

Last updated March 24, 2020 Views 16,167 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

How would you then transfer the Windows 8.1 O/S to another computer that does not have an O/S installed on it?

Hi Andre,

Yesterday I swiped my standard HDD for a SSD. So today I was planning on installing Windows 8.1, but without an ISO, how do I proceed? Should I just install Windows 8 Pro and then wait for the upgrade and do a refresh on my ultrabook?

Please let me know

Thanks

How would you then transfer the Windows 8.1 O/S to another computer that does not have an O/S installed on it?

Install Windows 8 or a qualifying version of Windows such as Windows 7, Vista or XP and use the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only

Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

If we acquired installation media trough Dreamspark, can we perform "keep files only" Windows 8.1 installs with our Windows 8 product keys, or we must use the new new 8.1 keys for that? (I have a machine with Windows 8 preinstalled, but I want to do a clean 8.1 install.)

How do you guys recommend downloading the update on separate computer (such as in a small office) that has a metered connection?  I can't just do the downloads onto all of the computers (3.5 *4 = 14.0 GB)... I have WSUS set up because of this, but that obviously will not work in the case of the Windows Store.

Is there any way to get even an executable to do an upgrade?
A+ce, Network+ce, IT for sales certified technician

Microsoft has made it known there will be no .ISO file for Windows 8.1 available to the general public.

"Consumers" here really means any copies of Windows 8 that weren't purchased through Microsoft's Volume Licensing programs. So a small business with 20 PCs to upgrade, for example, will have to do them one at a time via the Windows Store – so that's 20 separate 3.5GB downloads.

The Windows Store is the only way for consumers (non-enterprise, non-IT Pro) to download and install Windows 8.1. No ISOs will be made available, so each device needs to be updated individually via the Windows Store.

Well, that is not very clever - it will only encourage downloading from alternative sources which then will be fraught with the risks of malware. Not to mention about those small operators who have 5 or 10 PC's that need upgrading but do not have sufficient broadband allocation for that amount of data. We're running Windows on MAC computers in Bootcamp but this may just tip us over to going OS X on all of them.

I thought that Windows 8.1 was supposed to "true-up" everyone where as long as you've purchased purchased or received Windows 8.1, you would then own a full copy and not require any previous versions?    That's how it is for the retail version.

Are you now  telling me that people who received the free Windows 8.1 upgrade don't know own a full copy and will still need a previous version?  

:( Very disappointing.  What about those of us who do not have unlimited downloads plans, however we have several pcs to upgrade to 8.1?  Perhaps we should all send our excess download bills to MS. Shame on you Microsoft :((

I know, its unfortunate, but hopefully Microsoft will change on this one and very soon too, its definitely wasting bandwidth.

Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com
This is a shame.  I have heard many problems with upgrades, and personally experienced some of them myself.  I prefer clean installs any day, which I have done before as well.
My Tech Blog: http://hosch250.wordpress.com/