Product key doesn't work after upgraded to Windows 8.1 from a Sony VAIO with Windows 8 preinstalled

Last week I bought a Sony VAIO with Windows 8 preinstalled (I have most likely a Windows 8 OEM key somehow embedded in the computer).

Today I went to Microsofts website and saw I could upgrade to Windows 8.1. I clicked the link on Microsofts website and it launched Windows Store where I started the upgrade.

Now when Windows 8.1 is installed on my laptop and I check the Windows activation page and its saying that the product key doesn't work. I am getting "Error code: 0xC004C003".

I assume that my upgrade was eligible since I do have a valid Windows 8 key (since Windows 8 was preinstalled) and I could start the upgrade from Microsofts own store.

How do I resolve this? Meaning, how do I get Windows activated after upgrading to Windows 8.1 using a Sony VAIO wich has Windows 8 preinstalled?

Sincerely,
Christoffer

Question Info

Last updated January 21, 2020 Views 6,860 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

try activating by phone

1. Press Windows key + X then clickRun, then type: slui.exe 4

2. Next press the 'ENTER' key

3. Select your 'Country' from the list.

4. Choose the 'Phone Activation' option.

5. Stay on the phone (do not select/press any options) and wait for a person to help you with activation.

6. Explain your problem clearly to the support person.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Update:

After speaking with Microsoft support, they requested my product key. But since I have laptop with a preinstalled Windows 8, I don't actually have access to my key. The Windows 8 key is injected into the BIOS of the PC, and I can only see the 4 digits on Windows activation page.

Microsoft support asked me to contact my manufacturer (Sony) and ask for the key in order to continue with the activation.

I will continue to update this thread hopefully helping others with same problem.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Don't you have a sticker with the product key under you VAIO? Or did they change that with windows 8?

using Windows 8.1 on Acer iconia Tab W510

Sorry this didn't help.

Under my laptop I do have a sticker, but it only says "Windows 8" :-)

I don't have a sparkling sticker with the key, they use to have back in the day when you bought computers.

I will contact Sony tomorrow and ask how I can get the whole key for Microsoft.

Sorry this didn't help.

with windows 8 and newer version the Cert was done away with by microsoft if your machine was preinstalled with windows 8 the key is embedded in the bios .
 you should have recived and 8.1 product key if you used an upgrade or oem
 try here to see if you can get your product key

http://superuser.com/questions/496455/getting-windows-8-product-id-through-command-line
or search google for magic jelly bean or belarc key finder

Sorry this didn't help.

Try removing any product key by following the instructions at the bottom of the page here.

http://philipyip.wordpress.com/download-windows-8-1-iso/

i.e. remove any key from system properties using the slmgr.vbr /upk in an elevated command prompt and restart the computer to see if Windows 8.1 picks up the OEM SLP key and activates with it.

Sorry this didn't help.

So, the story continues.

I contacted Sony support, said that I updated my Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 via the Microsoft store, but now Microsoft says the key is invalid.

They replied with that I should have upgraded to Windows 8.1 via their software VAIO care and the only option I had now was to do a factory reset, back to Windows 8 then upgrade to Windows 8.1.

So I went home, and started a factory reset of my VAIO when suddenly the reset wizard said "Unable to reset your PC. A required drive partition is missing.". So apparently, when I did the Windows 8.1 upgrade, it removed my recovery partition.

I contacted Sony support again and they said the only way I can recover my hidden partition, in order to do a factory reset, to get my Windows 8 back, was to recover my VAIO using my recovery dvds - I apparently should have created via the VAIOP care prior to the upgrade.

I told them I didn't do any. I didn't really expect that an Windows 8.1 upgrade through the Windows store would render my key invalid, so I asked them for my Windows 8 key so maybe Microsoft could validate my installation to Windows 8.1. They replied that I cannot get the Windows 8 key. So I asked them; how do I get a recovery dvd then if I didn't create one myself?

They replied: "Well of course, for 75 USD, we can send you one."..

Sorry this didn't help.

I did the same mistake and updated from Microsoft website and it gives me error as well to use a product key and when I tried to reset it gives error partition not found.

Solution.      turnoff vaio, press assist button, go to troubleshoot, select rescue disk option and then select recover C driver and it will format and install clean windows 8. then download belarc find your key and write it somewhere.

update again and use that key all done.

Sorry this didn't help.

I've got a similar issue with a Sony laptop.

I want to swap my hdd for a ssd but I don't have a windows 8 oem iso to allow me to reinstall.

I have a windows 8.1 iso but that doesnt work with a windows 8 key (I got the key using Belarc if that helps anyone).

I think this is pretty poor from Microsoft - I prefer to buy genuine software but I resent having to buy another licencence for something I already have paid for. Does microsoft seriously expect me to upgrade to windows 9 when you cant make simple hardware changes?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Peter,

When you make a significant hardware change such as upgrading the hard disk, you might be required to activate Windows again.

You can download and install Windows 8 from this page using just your Windows 8 product key. You can then create an ISO file.

Upgrade Windows with only a product key

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only

You can refer to this article to create an ISO file.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

(Also, applies to Windows 8).

You can then upgrade to Windows 8.1

Hope this helps.

Sorry this didn't help.