NSIS Error (installation)

I' using windows 8.1 on and MSI laptop.

I was getting NSIS Errors (Error launching the installer) from almost every .exe installer i tried. I looked up and tried a lot of ways to fix it but nothing worked. So far I've tried clearing my browser cache, renaming the installer file, re-downloading the installer file (although I have tried several different installers for different programs), disabling my anti virus program, checking for and installing any new windows updates then rebooting, and I've tried sfc/scannow but none of them worked.

While trying to fix this, I noticed my Windows Installer service was not running, even though starting windows installer service didn't fix my problem, I thought it was worth mentioning. After some time, I copied a .exe installer file into the disk D, ran it and it worked. But still none of the installer files that are on my C disk work, they give me the NSIS error. I don't want to have to copy the file into D whenever i want to install something new, and there is clearly something wrong. I was wondering what the problem might be and how I can fix it.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

With the issue description, I understand that you are getting NSIS error on your Windows 8.1 machine. I will certainly help you in getting this issue fixed.

Let’s follow below mentioned steps and check if that helps:

Method 1:

Step 1: Disable Anti-virus software because it might be creating some software conflict.

Important Note: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Step 2: Run Microsoft Safety Scanner

I would also recommend you to perform a full virus scan using the antivirus program installed on the computer or by using Microsoft Safety Scanner as this issue could also occur by malwares.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

Safety Scanner Disclaimer: There could be a loss of data while performing a scan using Microsoft safety scanner to eliminate viruses if any.

Note: Any data files that are infected may only be cleaned by deleting the file entirely, which means there is a potential for data loss.

Try method 2, if the issue persist

Method 2: Run SFC Scan and DISM commands

Try to run a System File Checker (SFC) scan to check for any file corruption. SFC scan will scan for corrupt system files on the computer and repair them.

1. Press Windows key + X, click Command Prompt (Admin).

2. In the Command Prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow (Press Enter)

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth (Press Enter)

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth (Press Enter)

Hope this information is helpful. Please write back to us if you need any further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Regards

Neha

15 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 27, 2024 Views 3,306 Applies to: