Latest Windows Updates break Sysprep?

I am installing Windows 8.1 Enterprise x64 on different models of laptops after being wiped clean.

If I install Windows 8.1 and run Sysprep / Generalize / Shutdown, it works fine.

However, I have tried running all Windows updates (220+ updates).  I then attempted to run Sysprep / Generalize / Shutdown.  After a while, it displays a message that 'A fatal error occurred while trying to Sysprep the machine'.

I have looked at numerous articles about the SkipRearm issues and unattend.xml file [ not using one ] with the register key value changes, etc.  None of the articles have fixed the issue.  Apparently, one of the recent Microsoft updates 'breaks' Sysprep.  However, I am pressed for time on these images and do not have time to do process of elimination to figure out which one it is.

Anybody else coming across this?

Question Info

Last updated February 6, 2018 Views 95 Applies to:

Hi,

For better assistance with regards to Sysprep in Windows 8.1, we would suggest you to re-post this to Technet forums.

Regards.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Ok - I have re-posted it in TechNet:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/22f50bda-f71a-4650-85b3-efe370ca6739/windows-update-breaks-sysprep?forum=w8itproinstall

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.