KB2919355 (Windows 8.1 Update) Fails on Windows 8.1 Pro with error Code 80070057.

Can't get update to installing. Tried everything out, still giving me same problems. Other updates are installing without problems.

Tried DISM, SFC, etc etc. no errors found.

Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070057: Windows 8.1 Update for x64-based Systems (KB2919355).

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

The desktop I'm trying to install the update has the same processor as yours: Quad-core
CPU Q6600 Intel. Maybe this is the root of the problem.

My laptop is an Intel Sandy Bridge and installed without problems.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

The following actions fixed it for me:

Try going to: "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\System Tools"

If this folder does not exist (because you changed a few folders around to make the start screen look better for example)

You just go to: "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs"

and add a new folder "System Tools"

The update installed flawlessly after that.

FINALLY! I tried everything and this worked! The irony is that here we have a software company that leaves out major details like this which leaves the end user both frustrated and with a broken product. If Windows Update scans the directory file structure then why could they have not written it so that it would replace any missing files.

I'm also glad I wasn't the only one that was frustrated by the mess of the start screen, I use to do the same when using the start menu, removing all the bloat so it only showed the programs I wanted to see.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks. After that the update fails with error 800737312.
Then I tried the recommended procedures
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
The last failed unfortunately with error code
0x800f0811f

Both commands worked before!

The then executed Windows update problem handling then told me, that error 80073712 has been repaired.
I rebooted and tried again to start update KB2919355
result: update failed again with error 800737312.

Your proposal, which seems harmless enough (adding a directory ...),
leads in my case only to another error. Gr&%$§#! These update trials cost so much time!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I've been having the same issues as everyone else with the new update for windows.    I tried this, the Admin Command Prompt, the scanhealth completed but the restorehealth failed, wouldn't even complete!  What else can I try??

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried this fix but received a Warning message asking if I really wanted to add/ move this file as a "System Folder" already exists ?

Later I discovered there already is a folder in "Accessories" named "System Tools"

I'm not sure if I should add / move a second folder named "System Tools" if it already exists elsewhere.

Can this folder be in two places at once without causing problems for the operating system ?

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Another installation attempt resulted in explorer.exe crashing during installation....

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've been trying to get the update for days with no luck on my laptop running Windows Pro 64-bit. Windows Update kept freezing at 3% download and not installing. Finally last night, after days of tinkering and threatening to smash my computer, I got the update to install! This is what I did...

1) Removed and uninstalled Norton Security Suite

2) Allowed Windows Defender to turn back on and update

3) Restart;

4) Ran the following dism commands from command prompt as administrator:

dism /online /remove-package /packagename:Package_for_KB2919355~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.3.1.14

-this took awhile, but it removed the "package".

dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup

-this also took awhile

5) Restart

6) Ran Windows Update - which again froze at 3% download;

7) Ran Windows Update Troubleshooter - which took forever to fix "problems found". This program is really a joke because I had ran it numerous times over several days with the same results - problems showing fixed, but update would not install;

8) Ran both dism commands second time - this time it did not find the "package" to remove;

9) Restart;

10) Downloaded the update directly from Microsoft and installed using Windows Update Stand Alone Installer. Found here - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42335

The install took a long time. At first, I thought it had frozen again but just allowed it run. It finally installed!

11) Had a big drink of whiskey for the headache I then had and went to bed!

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Unfortunately I tried all you did above but with no luck. Maybe I shall reserve the whiskey for later. This PC was freshly installed with 8.1 4 months ago and I cannot go through the hassle again. I have software special software installed on it that is not easy to re-install and I am holding a lot of patient data on it.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had the same issue as discussed here.  I had a MS tech dial in to my PC and work for two hours to try to get this update to install.  He could not.  He escalated my call to a level 2 tech who dialed in and worked for another two hours with the same results.  I was informed that the only way we could remedy the situation was to refresh Windows 8.1.  Of course that would cause me to lose all of the programs I have installed over the last 4 months.  After refreshing, he was able to get this update to install but here I am several days later still re-installing progams for business and pleasure.  THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE!  I cannot afford to re-install all of my customized programs every time a critical update fails.  MS FORCED me to switch from my very stable Windows XP operating system to a very unstable Windows 8.1 non-operating system for what?  I had to buy a new PC, new MFC device, new Office programs, new web cam and thousands of dollars later, I don't see how I am better off than I was with my Windows XP machine.  I am very frustrated and disappointed with the resolution I was given.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I feel your pain. I'm still waiting for help from Microsoft. I'm definitely not going to refresh the PC. That's out of the question. My 8.1 is very stable and this is the first time in the history of Windows I'm having trouble installing an update.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 16, 2021 Views 4,684 Applies to: