Microsoft will release Windows 10 its next generation operating system on July 29th 2015
Please note that after July 29th 2016 the free upgrade offer ended, however it is still active for users of assistive technologies.
Learn how Windows 10 will be distributed and what you need to do to reserve your free copy.
Windows 10 free upgrade for customers who use assistive technologies
Windows 10 Upgrade Requirements:
Windows 8 users must have Windows 8.1 with Update 1 installed.
Read the following article:
To check if the necessary Windows Updates have been installed:
First verify that you have IE11 installed? If not then download and install IE11: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/ie-11-worldwide-languages
1) Verify that for Windows 8.1 KB3035583 and KB2976978 are installed.
(KB3035583 and KB2952664 for Windows 7)
Open Windows Update as follows:
Right click on ‘Start’ / Control Panel / Windows Updates and in the bottom left corner click on the ‘Installed Updates’ link.
In the upper right corner there is a ‘Search Installed Update’ box. Enter the appropriate pair of KB numbers (one at a time) for your version of Windows. Example: KB3035583
Note: If these updates were installed within the last week continue on to step #2, otherwise un-install both updates and re-install them and then continue to step #2.
2) Open Windows ‘Task Scheduler’ (Start / Computer / Manage) and navigate to:
Computer Management / System Tools / Task Scheduler / Task Scheduler Library / Microsoft / Windows / Application Experience
3) Right click on ‘Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser’ and select the ‘Run’ option. You may need to wait anywhere between 10 to 30 minutes or more for the task to complete and return to the ‘Ready’ Status. Press the F5 key to refresh the ‘Status’ about every 10 minutes.
4) Open File Explorer in Windows 8.1 and navigate to the C:\Windows\System32\GWX folder. Right click on the GWX.exe file and select the ‘Run as administrator’ option. Click ‘Yes’ when prompted.
5) Let the computer idle, keep your laptop connected to AC power and about 1 hour (take a good movie break), more if you have a slower computer (about 2 hours to play it safe) and if the GWX icon is still not displayed, shut you device totally down (do not hibernate or go into Sleep mode) for the night.
6) The next day power on the computer and wait about 30 minutes, the GWX icon should now be visible.
7) Click on the GWX icon in the taskbar and view the 6 slide presentation. You’re now ready to immediately make your reservation or wait a while as it’s a free upgrade for a year starting on July 29th, 2015
The Get Windows 10 app will provide with a tutorial of how the reservation works.
•Reserve your FREE upgrade to Windows 10 now. It will download* once available, and you can cancel your reservation at any time.
•You'll get a notification after Windows 10 is downloaded to your device. Install it right away or pick a time that's good for you.
•After it's installed, Windows 10 is all yours.
Learn more about the new features:
Windows 10 Faqs:
Additional Wiki articles you may want to read: