How do I stop Windows 8.1 Upgrade message?

In Windows Pro with Media Center 64-bit version, I opened the Windows Store and clicked on Windows 8.1 Upgrade just to see the details.  I did not click on the Download button at all.  Now there is a pop-up window every so often that shows "Windows 8.1 Upgrade will download and install within 24 hours".

I do NOT want Windows 8.1 Upgrade to install on this computer.  Windows 8 Pro runs just fine of what little I use this computer and I don't want Windows 8.1 Upgraded installed yet on this computer.  Especially with all the problems reported from other users and the insanely changes it makes to the system.

How do I prevent Windows 8.1 Upgrade from download and installing on this stand-alone system???

Question Info

Last updated January 17, 2019 Views 40,599 Applies to:
Answer

Hello all, I too was having this same issue. I am running Windows 8 Pro(X64) and am perfectly fine with it. Like the user before me who posted the same, I have NO intentions of upgrading to 8.1 and this notification was getting annoying. As Rajesh had suggested, I searched installed updates and I did locate KB2871389. I have uninstalled and hid this update from the windows updater. I have noticed that the first thing I still see when entering the windows store is the 'upgrade to windows 8.1' advertisement. I suspected that was unlikely to change. Anyhow, it will take some time to see if this fix will actually work as the notice to upgrade seemed to pop up randomly without any sort of regularity. I use my computer daily and after a period of time, maybe a month or so, I will post back and let everyone know if this fix actually worked. If the notification appears before then, I will report back immediately to let you all know that the fix did not work. This is one of those fixes that are going to require some patience due to the random nature of the notification. Until then, CHEERS!

UPDATE!!!! KB2871389 is NOT the correct update to uninstall. The CORRECT update to uninstall IS KB2885699. You can verify that by checking this link. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2885699/en-us Another simple fix is this; Run regedit, then navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\UpgradeNotification. Change the value of UpgradeAvailable from 1 to 0 Reboot And have a nice day! :)

18 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer

Hi Nipper,

The reason why you are getting the notification about the Windows 8.1 update is because of an installed update on your computer. The KB Number of this update is KB 2871389. This update that is installed via Windows Update enables you to update Windows 8 or Windows RT to Windows 8.1 or Windows 8.1 RT when Windows 8.1 from the Windows Store. Additionally, this update fixes several issues in Windows 8 Enterprise, Windows Server 2012, and volume licensed installations of Windows 8.

Thus, if you do not want to update to Windows 8.1, then you may try uninstalling this update from your computer and that should stop the notification about the Windows 8.1 release on the computer. Please follow these steps and check if that resolves the issue:

Uninstall the update from the computer.

a)       Press “Windows Logo” + “R” and type “appwiz.cpl” in the “Run” command box.

b)       In the “Programs and Features” window, click on the “View installed updates” link on the left pane of the window.

c)       Now, click on the update: KB 2871389 and select “Uninstall”.

d)       Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the process.

e)       Restart the computer if prompted.

You may now check if you are still getting the same notification from the Windows Store. In case, if you need to hide this update from the Windows Update, then you may refer to the section: “I hid an update and now I want to install it” given in this article:

Troubleshoot problems with installing updates

Hope this is helpful.

Regards,
Rajesh Govind - Microsoft Support Engineer

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.