Failed update to Windows 8.1 with Error Code 0xC1900101-0x3000D from Windows 8

I tried to update my HP Envy TouchSmart m6-k025dx sleekbook from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 through the Windows store, but when it restarted to finish the install and got through "getting ready", my laptop blanked out with a black screen. Then I manually forced it to close and when it started up, it restored my laptop back to previous version of Windows (Windows 8) and gave the error code 0xC1900101-0x3000D. What's wrong?

Question Info

Last updated February 22, 2018 Views 755 Applies to:

Hi Yanhua,

I would appreciate if you could answer the following questions:

1.    Which antivirus application are you using?

2.    Have you installed all the Windows updates available for your operating system?

To resolve this problem, try the following methods, in the order in which they are given.

Method 1: Disconnect all the unnecessary external devices connected to the computer (except the mouse and the keyboard)

Please disconnect all the unnecessary external devices connected to the computer (except the mouse and the keyboard) and then check if you still face this issue while installing Windows 8.1. This is to check if the issue is caused by any external devices connected to the computer.

If that doesn’t help, then try the next method and check the status.

Method 2: Clear the Store cache

You may try these steps to clear the Store cache and check if that helps:

a)       Press the “Windows Logo” + “R” keys on the keyboard.

b)       Type “wsreset.exe” and press “Enter”.

c)       Reboot the computer and then try installing the Windows 8.1 update.

If you are using any third party security program on the computer, then you may also check if this issue is caused by its conflict with the installation process.

Method 3: Temporarily disable the third party security program. (If you have installed any)

If you have installed any third party security program, then I request you to contact its technical support to temporarily disable the program and then check the issue.

Important: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

If the issue still persists, then check if there are any latest driver updates available for all the devices on the computer.

Method 4: Update the Device Drivers on the Computer.

Step 1: Check the Windows updates for any latest driver updates.

Check in Windows updates if any driver updates are available. If so, install the same and check if it helps.

a)       Press “Windows Logo” + “W” keys from the keyboard.

b)       Type “Updates” in the search bar and click on “Install optional updates” from the left pane.

c)       From the “Windows Update” window, click on “Check for Updates” on the top left corner, to receive a fresh list of updates and then install all the updates listed there.

If no driver updates are available via Windows Update, then you may install them from the Computer Manufacturer’s website.

Step 2: Update Driver Software from the Manufacturer’s website:

Go to the computer manufacturer’s website and search for the latest Windows 8.1 compatible drivers available for all the devices on the computer and then install them by following the instructions given in the website.

For reference, you may check this link:

Windows update 8.1 error 0xC1900101 - 0x3000d

Hope the information provided is useful. If the issue persists, reply here and we will be glad to help you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Babu,

Thanks for your response.  I have the same computer and have not been able to update to Windows 8.1.  I am receiving the error 0xC1900101 - 0x30018, though.  Here are my answers to your questions and steps.

1.  Antivirus - Norton.  I am now on my second computer (first was returned).  I have used the supplied Norton trial version until I got the system updated to 8.1.  I have tried updating the computer with Norton disabled.  Unfortunately, the same results.  FYI, I have found that Conduit installs itself when you update without an antivirus.

2.  Windows updates - yes, all updates have been applied.  All HP updates have been applied and I have gone through each device and checked for updates.  

Method 1 - The computer is straight out of the box.  Nothing is attached.
Method 2 - I have run wsreset.exe.
Method 3 - I have disable 3rd party security programs and also disabled non-Microsoft startup programs.
Method 4 - I have gone through each device in Device Manger and checked for new drivers.
  >  I will check Intel's website for video and wifi drivers later today.

--jeff

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.