Error upgrading to windows 8.1, code 0x80004005

I tried installing the upgrade from the shop, it runs for some time, writes "preparing for reboot, 88%" and then gives an error:

http://screenshots.grik.net/2013-10-21_0101.png

For some reason Windows 8.1 could not be installed. Try once more. Error code: 0x80004005

I tried a few times, the error persists. I tried the "clean boot" as well, and it did not help either.

What am I doing wrong?

Win 8.0 is purchased as an online upgrade for Win 7 on my Dell notebook.

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Grigori,

I would like to ask few question regarding this issue. Please answer these questions for a better understanding.

1)       Do you have any third party security program installed on the computer?

2)       Did you install all the important updates via Windows Update before you started the Windows 8.1 installation? Are all the device drivers updated?

3)       Do you have any external hardware device (except the mouse and the keyboard) connected to the computer?

Please try the following methods and let’s know the result:

Method 1: Disconnect all the unnecessary external devices connected to the computer (except the mouse and the keyboard)

Please disconnect all the unnecessary external devices connected to the computer (except the mouse and the keyboard) and then check if you still face this issue while installing Windows 8.1. This is to check if the issue is caused by any external devices connected to the computer.

If you have any third party security program installed on the computer, then try disabling it and then proceed with the installation.

Method 2: Temporarily disable the third party security program. (If you have installed any)

If you have any third party security program installed on the computer, then I request you to contact its technical support to temporarily disable the program and then check the issue.

Important: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

If the issue still persists, then this could be an issue with the device drivers installed on the computer.

Method 3: Update the Device Drivers on the Computer.

Step 1: Check the Windows updates for any latest driver updates.

Check in Windows updates if any driver updates are available. If so, install the same and check if it helps.

a)       Press “Windows Logo” + “W” keys from the keyboard.

b)       Type “Updates” in the search bar and click on “Install optional updates” from the left pane.

c)       From the “Windows Update” window, click on “Check for Updates” on the top left corner, to receive a fresh list of updates and then install all the updates listed there.

For any issues while installing Windows Updates, you may also refer to this link:

Troubleshoot problems with installing updates

If no driver updates are available via Windows Update, then you may install them for all the devices on the computer from the Computer Manufacturer’s website.

Step 2: Update Driver Software from the Manufacturer’s website:

Go to the computer manufacturer’s website and search for the latest Windows 8 drivers available for all the devices on the computer and then install them by following the instructions given in the website.

Hope this resolves the issue. Please get back to us with the troubleshooting results.

Regards,
Rajesh Govind - Microsoft Support Engineer

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I tried installing the upgrade from the shop, it runs for some time, writes "preparing for reboot, 88%" and then gives an error:

http://screenshots.grik.net/2013-10-21_0101.png

For some reason Windows 8.1 could not be installed. Try once more. Error code: 0x80004005

I tried a few times, the error persists. I tried the "clean boot" as well, and it did not help either.

What am I doing wrong?

Win 8.0 is purchased as an online upgrade for Win 7 on my Dell notebook.

i had the same problem but i got it fixed.i went to disk management and made the primarry partion active and took the drive letter from the system reserve pation.i dont know witch helped but it worked right after i did it.i dont know if it will work for anyone else just thought i would share it and it might help a few people.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Reply In reply to deleted message

i had the same problem but i got it fixed.i went to disk management and made the primarry partion active and took the drive letter from the system reserve pation.i dont know witch helped but it worked right after i did it.i dont know if it will work for anyone else just thought i would share it and it might help a few people.

I don't seem to get what u meant, can you or anyone clarified what you meant? I have the same problem, windows failed to reboot after 88% (preparing to reboot) I have a legitimate windows copy and was brought online via win 7 MS promotion upgrade.

The answer given by MS support engineer was just a canned standard answer which provide no help btw :)

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Grigori,

I would like to ask few question regarding this issue. Please answer these questions for a better understanding.

1)       Do you have any third party security program installed on the computer?

No

2)       Did you install all the important updates via Windows Update before you started the Windows 8.1 installation? Are all the device drivers updated?

Yes

3)       Do you have any external hardware device (except the mouse and the keyboard) connected to the computer?

No.

Please try the following methods and let’s know the result:

Method 3: Update the Device Drivers on the Computer.

Step 1: Check the Windows updates for any latest driver updates.

Check in Windows updates if any driver updates are available. If so, install the same and check if it helps.

a)       Press “Windows Logo” + “W” keys from the keyboard.

b)       Type “Updates” in the search bar and click on “Install optional updates” from the left pane.

c)       From the “Windows Update” window, click on “Check for Updates” on the top left corner, to receive a fresh list of updates and then install all the updates listed there.

For any issues while installing Windows Updates, you may also refer to this link:

Troubleshoot problems with installing updates

If no driver updates are available via Windows Update, then you may install them for all the devices on the computer from the Computer Manufacturer’s website.

Step 2: Update Driver Software from the Manufacturer’s website:

Go to the computer manufacturer’s website and search for the latest Windows 8 drivers available for all the devices on the computer and then install them by following the instructions given in the website.

Hope this resolves the issue. Please get back to us with the troubleshooting results.

Is there a way to download the 8.1 installer to perform a clean install?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, what do you mean by taking the letter from the system partition?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had the exact same problem.  Error 0x80004005 - It seems the 8.1 setup wants the windows partition to be the active one,  Like many, I have a small partition ("System") at the start of the drive and this was the active partition.

The error was eliminated, for me, when I changed the active partition to the one with the OS installed on - in my case it was the 2nd partition, 

Of course changing the active partition means windows will not boot without help: so  I inserted the Window 8 setup DVD and booted it up,  Selected the Repair my Computer option when it appeared, then under the Advanced options selected the one which automatically fixes startup problems.  This corrected the boot parameters so I could then boot from the windows partition.

The next time I tried the 8.1 update it completed successfully - at last! Many hours wasted on this ... 

Why couldn't Microsoft eliminate this issue at the start - the Upgrade Assistant wizard did not inform me of the need to change my system configuration for the update to work - why not? Beats me!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Now THIS sounds like the closest remedy to the problem. I have suspected all along it was a boot problem since update failed at restart.

However, I am not a technician, so this is going beyond my level of competence. Nor should an ordinary consumer have to tinker down to this level.  I bought this computer with windows 8 pre-installed.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

After trying everything else possible, I tried this, and yes, it does work, AWESOME. I am very computer literate, and this doesn't make sense (changing the active boot partition to a partition that has no boot files), but it finally allowed the upgrade to finish and to request the reboot. As previously stated, the system will not boot after this because you changed the active partition to one with no boot files, but if you run the repair option off of the original installation disk or a recovery disk, it will place the boot files on the changed active partition, allowing it to boot. Mine actually gave an error message saying that the update failed, so I ran it again, and it did the upgrade, reboot, then installed the update automatically.

I have read this "fix" in several different forums, but just could not believe that it would work, so I never tried it, it just does not make sense, at least from a user friendly installation perspective. So now Microsoft needs to figure out an easy way for this to be accomplished, especially for those a bit reluctant to mess with these settings. It's not rocket science, but it should not be necessary to go through this process.

So to summarize, if you go into Disk Management, you should see two partitions, the first one small (350 MB) possibly saying System Reserved and no drive letter, also saying active: the other being the remainder of your disk that contains the operating system, and probably with labels of Page File and Primary Partition, probably labeled C. Right click on this larger partition, select "Mark Partition as Active", it will give an error message saying you can only have one active partition, say OK. Now resume the upgrade. Be sure you have the ability to boot off of an installation disk or USB (you should test this first, Google it if you don't know how). As always, caution says you should back up your data before trying this, as it can make your you system inoperable if you cannot repair it.

Hopes this helps. I am most grateful to Grigori and SteveDR and Mash104.!!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

my problem is that C is already an active partition :(

maybe I need to reinstall windows completely

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

my problem is that C is already an active partition :(

maybe I need to reinstall windows completely

I do not have the ability to "mark partition as active" either.  It is grayed out.

Any updates around on how to fix this?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 19, 2020 Views 4,971 Applies to: