Couldn't Update to Windows 8.1 (Error 0x80070002-0x20007)

I keep getting this error everytime I try to install Win8.1. It starts when it initializes the install, however it stops at 75% and then said "Restoring your previous version of Windows" reboots and then I log back in, and that's when the error showed up (Picture) By the way, my device is the Asus VivoTab Smart me400C. I'd really appreciate on any help getting Windows 8.1 to successfully install on my VivoTab, and getting through the error

Hi andrew,

The error code and error message could occur due to some third party application installed on the computer. This might also happen if Windows 8 is not completely updated (including the device drivers).

1) Did you check if all the updates offered from Windows Update are installed on Windows 8?

2) Is there any third party security software installed on the computer?

If not, install all the updates and then check if the drivers installed on the computer are up-to-date.

For issues related to Windows Update, refer to the link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-8/troubleshoot-problems-installing-updates

Follow the methods to further troubleshoot the issue:

Method 1:

I would suggest you to reset Windows store cache memory and check if it helps.

You can follow the steps to do so:

a)            On the desktop screen, press Windows and R key to open run box.

b)            Type WSReset.exe and hit Enter.

Try to install Windows 8.1 again from Store and check if it resolves the issue. If not, proceed to the second method.

Method 2:

If you have any third party security software installed on the computer, let’s uninstall it and check if that’s the cause for the failed installation.

Important Note: Security software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Method 3:

You can also place the computer in a clean boot and then try to install the upgrade. Clean boot will eliminate the software conflicts.

You may follow the article mentioned to perform a clean boot.

Perform a Clean Boot

Follow the instructions (Step 1 for Windows 8) given in this link to perform a clean boot:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After performing the troubleshooting steps in clean boot, follow these steps to return the computer to Normal startup mode.

a) Press the ‘Windows + R’ key on the keyboard.
b) In the ‘Run’ windows type ’MSCONFIG’ and click ‘Ok’.
c) On the General tab, click the Normal Startup option, and then click ok.
d) When you are prompted to restart the computer, click Restart.

For further reference, you can refer to the link and follow the steps to update to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8:

"Update to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8"

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/update-from-windows-8-tutorial

Please let us know if the issue still persists. We will be glad to assist you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Here's what I tried: 
All three you mentioned

Uninstalled AVG 2014

Deleting the update log and renamed it (A few updates failed)

Restoring my PC completely

Checked for any driver updates and installed them from DriverScanner 

I tried everything, yet I still get the same error

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 16, 2019 Views 1,780 Applies to: