"Couldn't update to Windows 8.1 - 0xC1900101 - 0x40017"

I have downloaded the Windows 8.1 update from the store but cannot get it to install. Each time I try, I get to the point where it is "getting my devices ready", then the PC restarts to a blue screen with error message. It then tries to recover the installation, fails, then restores Windows 8. When the system boots up after this, I get a message saying:

"Couldn't update to Windows 8.1

Sorry, we couldn't complete the update to Windows 8.1. We've restored your previous version of Windows to this PC.

0xC1900101 - 0x40017"

There is n o explanation as to why the update could be completed. Any ideas how to resolve this?

Question Info

Last updated May 19, 2019 Views 157,174 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I suspect complaints about 8.1 are being reduced to save embarasment!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Will be trying to update my mac os tomorrow. I bet that works without a hitch.

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, my post on page 10 was used to create an entire blog by ComputerWorld, so a little late for that...

Sorry this didn't help.

I think they might have split off some of the comments about issues other than the 0xC1900101 - 0x40017 error into separate threads. Makes sense I suppose, but I wish they'd spend some time updating us on the situation rather than tidying up their forum.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm with you on that one.  Just a confirmation that they acknowledge the problem and are working on it would be nice.  The only acknowledgement anyone has received from Microsoft is the announcement that they were working on RT.

I'm going to try the hail Mary approach here and wipe my entire PC.  We'll see how that goes.

Sorry this didn't help.

I finally got the 8.1 upgrade to install. I uninstalled Virtu MVP driver and went into device manager and uninstalled and deleted the NVidia drivers.

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the exact same issue.  Have tried all the usual 'fixes' and nothing works still.

PC Specs;
Intel Core i7 4770K
G.Skill Trident X F3-240010Q-16GTX 16GB
ASUS Sabertooth Z87 Motherboard
ASUS Xonar Essence STX Soundcard
2x Crucial M500 SSD in RAID 0
Wester Digital 2TB Black
2x Gigabyte ATi Radeon 6990HD
Corsair HX-1050 V2 80 Plus Gold PSU

If anyone has a fix for this that would be great!

Sorry this didn't help.

Just to add one more to the list. Two of three machines updated without issue.  The third fails with 0xc1900101-0x20017.  This machine is an Intel DX79SR with twin GeForce GTX660 video cards.  Have removed every peripheral, cleaned the Windows store, Run the upgrade assistant resulting in no compatibility issues.  Ran Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth and sfc /scannow without error.  Removed one of my two video adaptors and deleted the drivers for the remaining one. Have tried updating from a store download, a mounted ISO image and a USB drive with the 8.1 RTM distro on it.  All efforts result in the same failure.  The BSOD disappears too fast to see what caused it, but the error code is always the same.  Windows 8 runs perfectly and the Nvidia drivers are the new ones released yesterday. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, i am finally one of the rare users who have successfully installed 8.1. I believe it was done thru the Update by NVIDIA with the compatable driver pack. however, i do not find myself happy. I love the new features and apps, but it seems Microsoft in their efforts to cater to touch and tablet owners, have forgotten the desktop. Is it just me or is the new desktop come in overzoomed, blurry, and boxy, unlike the crisp streamlined start page and apps. I have also lost brightness controll, it says its dimming but its really not. Has anyone else experienced this? I use IE and chrome, but Microsoft is forcing me to choose between the two. Desktop mode is too crappy to use, and the Start browser apps will only allow you to use one of them. Any similar experience or advice? i am facing rolling back to a pre install restore point to see if it what my graphic manager was pre install, because what i have now is not what i had before

Sorry this didn't help.

Congratulations...  I'm in the middle of starting from scratch on my PC.  God help us all if that doesn't work.

As for your oversized desktop, go to control panel, then display, and set the zoom to 125%.  With the browser choosing, it's just about choosing the default... you can have both installed.  Next, for brightness, go into control panel and in the power settings you will find the adjustments for dimming the screen (power options -> choose plan settings).

Lastly, with the start apps, you can use more than one by dragging from the top and moving it to a side.  You said "browser apps"... if you're talking about chrome or IE, you can make it go to desktop mode by clicking in the settings on the right (for Chrome) and telling it to open in desktop mode.  For IE, I think there's a similar control.

If the brightness doesn't work, open the charm bar (windows+c) and click on the monitor and set the brightness from there.

Sorry this didn't help.