Acer Aspire M5 Windows 8.1 Download Keeps Restarting

I recently downloaded the windows 8.1 update, and when prompted to restarted my computer.

The usual Acer startup screen followed but then as soon as it started to install the update, the computer would then restart itself again, and it's been in this cycle for about an hour or so. I've tried switching it off, waiting a few minutes then switching it on again but to no avail.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance,

Nathan Dampier

Hi Nathan,

Since the computer is in reboot loop, I would suggest you to hard shutdown the computer by pressing the power button. Try removing all the external devices connected to the computer and then try booting the computer and check if it works.

Method 1: you can try running an Automatic Repair from the Windows 8 installation or recovery disc.

1. Boot from the Windows 8 disc.
2. Once selecting your language, time and keyboard settings, click Next to load the next window, then click on the Repair your computer link on the bottom left corner of the window.
3. You should then be presented with a Choose an Option screen, with Troubleshoot as an option to select.
4. In the Troubleshoot screen, select Advanced options.
5. Select Automatic Repair from the Advanced options screen and then select the target operating system to repair, which would be Windows 8 in this case.

If issue persists follow method 2:

Method 2: You may also try doing the Refresh your PC option if that does not work. You can locate the Refresh your PC option in the same manner you did with finding Automatic Repair, only follow the above steps to number 3, as you will find it listed in the Troubleshoot screen.

How to restore, refresh, or reset your PC

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc

Please be aware that when using the Refresh your PC option,

• Your files and personalization settings won't change.
  • Your PC settings will be restored to their defaults.
  • Windows Store apps will be kept. All apps you installed from discs or websites will be removed, but we'll put a list of them on your desktop.
  • Apps you installed from discs or websites will be removed.
  • A list of removed apps will be saved on your desktop.

·         If you upgraded your PC from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 and your PC has a Windows 8 recovery partition, refreshing your PC will restore Windows 8. You’ll need to upgrade to Windows 8.1 after the refresh has finished.

Additional information:

Update to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/update-from-windows-8-tutorial

Update to Windows 8.1: FAQ

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-to-windows-8

Hope this helps. If you need further assistance with Windows, let us know and will be glad to help.

John Rubdy
Forum Moderator | Microsoft Community

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I tried to do that with my M-Disk which came with my acer laptop, however this didn't do anything.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 21, 2018 Views 572 Applies to: