0xC1900101 - 0x40019

Hello,

I am having trouble upgrading my HP Envy 23 TouchSmart all-in-one PC to Windows 8.1 Pro from Windows 8 Pro.

I recently posted this question on the HP forum as well:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/TouchSmart-PC/Windows-8-1-Pro-upgrade-issue-from-Windows-8-Pro-on-Envy-23/td-p/3037925

I am copying the post here as well.

Any assistance is much appreciated.

Thanks,

AJ

========

Hello,

I have an HP Envy 23 Touchsmart All-In-One that I purchased a year ago (around 12/2012). It came preinstalled with Windows 8.

System Information:

a) Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770S CPU @ 3.10 GHz

b) 8192 MB of RAM

A few weeks after I had bought the system, I upgraded to Windows 8 Pro with Media Center that I purchased through Microsoft's upgrade program.

Last week (10/19/2013), I saw the upgrade option to Windows 8.1 in the store and decided to upgrade.

After a few minutes, I got a prompt asking me to restart the computer and I did.

However, I noticed that the screen went blank, but it really didn't restart - I saw that the hard disk light was still blinking and I waited for around 15 minutes. I know it didn't restart because if it did I would have seen the HP logo on the BIOS screen. A little later, the system went into sleep mode (at least, the power button light was blinking slowly as if it was on sleep). Since it was late at night, I decided to leave the system alone and decided to check on it next morning. Next morning, it was still in sleep mode (as I feared) - when I tried to wake it up from sleep by moving the mouse/hitting the return key, it made the exact sounds as if it was waking up from sleep (as it always does), but the screen was still blank. The power button slight was glowing steadily indicating that it is awake now.

At this point, I decided to power down the system by holding the power button for a few seconds. Upon reboot, I saw the HP logo on the BIOS bootup screen and then the screen went blank and nothing came up.

So I decided to do a system recovery using my Windows 8 recovery CD and powered down the system with the CD in its slot. This time, the system came up and immediately started restoring my OS to a previous version.

Upon logging in to the recovered system, I got the following message:

"Couldn't update to Windows 8.1

Sorry, we couldn't complete the update to Windows 8.1. We've restored your previous version of Windows to this PC.

0xC1900101 - 0x40019".

I tried reinstalling Windows 8.1 a couple of times after this. Once by disabling all the non-Microsoft services and disabling all the startup programs. Still the same result.

I don't have any antivirus software on my system other the default Microsoft system protection software.

Any help, much appreciated.

Thanks.

Question Info

Last updated August 26, 2018 Views 2,958 Applies to:
check to see if there are any updated video drivers.  NVidia just released an update for mine and installing that then allowed me to successfully install 8.1 without getting that error

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi AJ,

I literally bought my HP Envy laptop 4 days ago and I'm having the same problem. Were you able to resolve this issue?

I really look forward to your response:)

Sincerely,

Christine

Sorry this didn't help.

I have been trying periodically to apply all the Windows updates and driver updates (mine is an Intel integrated video driver) and then upgrade to Windows 8.1 - so far, no luck with any of my attempts.

Seems to be affecting just HP computers.

Not sure what the next step is going to be.

-AJ

Sorry this didn't help.

I am continuing to have "exactly" the same problem with a Lenovo W510 laptop I use for testing.  I have tried every suggestion I have found in the forums and have had no luck whatsoever.  It is odd, because I had an older Lenovo T61 laptop that upgraded without a hitch.

I've tried the Store Upgrade, an update with a key from TechNet, defeated all AV programs, unhooked all peripherals, booted into a minimal startup mode.  Nothing has worked.  I see all kinds of info in the errorlog files, but it is nothing I can decipher.

Sorry this didn't help.

HP computer owners might want to try this.

We purchased a HP Envy Touchsmart system for my mother for Chirstmas 2013 and I had problems updating to Windows 8.1 as others have described.

I have not tried it yet but the the recommendation that supposedly worked else where was to Disable Secure Boot in the BIOS.  Use Legacy Boot.

I had changed this so that I could image the system booting Clonezilla on a Thumbdrive and then switch it back to Secure after successfully making a backup image.

The secure boot had initially kept the system from booting Clonezilla.

I would suggest giving it a try.  I plan to when time permits and will try to post my results back here when I do.

Sorry this didn't help.

Exact same problem, will not upgrade to Win8.1. Have HP Spectre XT with intel 4000 video driver. Anyone find a solution yet?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having this same issue with my HP Envy Touchsmart 15. I have tried multiple times to upgrade my system from Windows 8 to 8.1. Each time it ends up in a black screen of nothingness, reverts to old OS, and gives me one of several error codes.

These are the 3 specific error codes I have received:

0xC1900101-0x40019

0xC1900101-0x4000D

0xC1900101-0x30018

I have spent the majority of my free time the last three days searching and trying options from forums including:

1. disabling services and startup programs

2. disabling antivirus, even though at this point I am only using Windows Defender

3. Downloading and installing all available windows updates

4. updating my bios

5. disconnecting all peripherals.

-- I believe I have tried nearly everything that I have been able to find that might address this issue.

In my search, the one thing that made the most sense is that it is a problem with my video driver. The driver I have installed right now, which, yes, is the latest available from HP, is not compatible with Windows 8.1. I cannot install the driver from HP for 8.1 because I am not running 8.1. I can't install the driver from Intel's website which is compatible with both 8 and 8.1 because the driver is not approved for this laptop.

Am I missing something here, or does Microsoft have a workaround for this issue? Sure seems like an awful lot of work for the average user to have to do just to install what Microsoft has said was ready to go...

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.