PC won't recognise wireless after Windows 8.1 upgrade. (+ other issues)

Hello,

I upgraded my PC to Windows 8.1 two days ago, and ever since have had issue upon issue with it.
The first issue that came to my attention, was that my PC would no longer recognise my home wireless. I restarted my computer and found that the wireless was working as normal. However, I came to realise that whenever I put my computer into sleep mode, or hibernation, or on standby, my computer will once again refuse to acknowledge any wireless sources upon my return.
This is frustrating, as I have found myself needing to restart my computer every time I want to connect to a wireless network.
This issue only occurred following the update to Windows 8.1.
I know that the issue is not with my router, or my network adapter, as the issue did not exist prior to my software upgrade. A solution to this would be much appreciated.

The second issue, is that since the upgrade, all of my installed apps now ask for serial numbers/product keys. This includes, but is by no means limited to: Microsoft Office 2010, Adobe Photoshop CS6, RPG Maker VX Ace, RPG Maker XP and all of my installed games.

As a University student studying Video Game development, all of these features are a crucial part of my studies.

In the past I have had to purchase new licences for each of these products, due to software problems associated with upgrading my OS, as well as mandatory system restores caused by Windows software and registry errors.

I am running an Origin EON 15-S, which I had customized according to my needs. It also came with Microsoft Office 2010 pre-installed, which means I don't have a physical copy of my product key, nor do I have any recollection of having a digital product key provided.
Is there any way to recover my product keys from before the update to 8.1? Or if I revert back to Windows 8.0, will that resolve my issue?

With assessments looming, it would be nice if someone could help me out with my issues.

Thanks in advance.

Hi CamRichardson,

Have you checked the status of Windows activation?

It looks like Wireless Network adapter is set to sleep when you put the computer into sleep mode. Let’s verify the settings and check.

This issue could also occur if the wireless network adapter is not compatible with Windows 8.1. Some of the functions may stop working or behave unexpectedly.  

a.    Go to device manager by press windows key + R, and type in devmgmt.msc and click Enter.

b.    Expand network adapters.

c.    Right click on wireless network adapter and select Properties

d.    Go to Power Management tab and uncheck the box to allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.

Ideally when you upgrade, you should not lost the license of the installed programs. Regarding Microsoft Office 2010 you may have to get in touch with the computer Manufacturer to get it working.

You may have to re-activate other programs using the license key or may have to install the latest patch to get it working. It could also occur if you do not have permission or if the app is not compatible with Windows 8.1.

You can also contact the respective program administrator to check with the activation details.

Hope this information helps. Reply with the status so that we could help you further.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 18, 2021 Views 6 Applies to: