Windows Media Player won't work. Windows 8.1

Windows Media Player has been working fine up until recently. The problem I started to have was that all of a sudden I couldn't open any videos or Windows Media Player at all. I went onto a troubleshooting page on windows.com that told me to go into add or remove features and uncheck windows media player, restart my computer, then check it again and restart my computer once more. When I tried to do this I only got to being able to uncheck windows media player and restart but then when I tried to check it back again it gives me an error code that states. Windows couldn't complete the requested changes, the component store has been corrupted, error code 0x80073712. So after that I looked online for ways to fix this and I learned to go and run the windows media player settings troubleshooter and run the wizard, but when I went into troubleshooting and hit view all,anything about windows media player was nowhere to be found. How do I fix this and get windows media player up and running? I am on windows 8.1.

Question Info

Last updated May 25, 2019 Views 286 Applies to:

I'm reading that as likely a system configuration error external to Windows Media Player itself and possibly a problem with the Windows install.  Do you have a System Restore point you can roll back to?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Can you think of someway to fix it without doing something like a restore

Sorry this didn't help.

This appears to be a system configuration order.  I'm unaware of any meaningful solution path other than a system restore, which itself may or may not work.

Sorry this didn't help.