error 577 when i attempt to turn on windows defender win8.1

• very frustrated with my $1,000 new touch screen computer due to windows 8. i download win8.1 from play store looking for a easier os so could enjoy my new computer. but i have a problem windows defender will not turn on!!!!   i tried all community posted things and replies from microsoft. when i press start it gives this error message:[ERROR 577 windows can not digital verify signture for this file ]etc.... come on guys i never had problems win 98xp i loved useing my computer everyday. it was simple to understand and find the fix for the regular guy. now i HATE Using my NEW  COMPUTER DUE TO WIN8 and WINDOWS 8.1 i thought would make things better. i wish i could put win98 or win7 on this computer so i can enjoy my purchase.  anyone know how to get Win8.1 win defender to work??? or want to buy a $1,000 hp i7 with 2 tb 8 gb paper weight?

<Moved from Windows>

Question Info

Last updated August 2, 2018 Views 99,907 Applies to:
Answer
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_start/windows-defender-not-working-after-upgrade-to/51ff2e69-b7e7-46da-84c9-392bf040ef1e

In the above thread we have seen that OP had same problem as yours and he tried some editing of registry that we normally do not recommend but it worked for him. You may want to give it a try. All you have to do is to:
  1. Press Win key + R. This will open Run.
  2. Type "regedit" and hit enter.
  3. Navigate to these keys:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender
  4. Change value of 'DisableAntiSpyware' and 'DisableAntiVirus' from '0' to '1'.
  5. After changing the values go to 'C:\Program Files\Windows Defender' and open 'MSASCui.exe' file.

Hope this will fix the problem.

Please come back with the results.
Please mark replies as helpful/answer if they are.

126 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
This error seems to be of Windows rather than of Windows Defender. Please post a question in Windows 8.1 forum, they can help better.
Please come back with the results.
Please mark replies as helpful/answer if they are.

112 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.