Question

Can't enable or install .NET Framework 3.5 in Windows 8.1 PRO 64-bit

locanda asked on

I continually receive the message in a dialogue that

"Windows couldn't complete the requested changes.

The system cannot find the file specified.

Error code: 0x80070002"

I have not been able to find my way around it.  Running on a 4770K system with fresh install, only user, and with Admin privileges, and usually running Command and many other programs as Administrator.

Can't turn 3.5 on through Control Panel "Turn Windows features on or off", although .NET Framework 4.5 Advanced Services IS enabled.

No success either, using installers provided with programs that require that version of .NET.  As they do require it, I am hoping to get this resolved.

No success with DISM method of scanhealth & restorehealth, although these run OK.

No success with DISM method to install from distribuion CD, mounted ISO, or folder Sources\sxs folder copied to hard drive (including using /LimitAccess switch).

I haven't been able to figure out from looking at the DISM and CBS logs what might be missing.

No success changing server or path in Administrative Templates, etc. regarding Windows Update, for installing components.

No success from .NET full download or stub from Microsoft website.

Microsoft's Windows Update fix-it tool doesn't come up with a solution, either, or point to the culprit with any useful detail.

I've tried to be reasonably methodical in working this out, but I still don't seem to be getting anywhere.

ANY SUGGESTIONS, PLEASE?

<Merged Duplicate (2) Threads>

159 people had this question

Abuse history

Most Helpful Reply
Chris Wardario replied on

Found link that identifies two Windows Updates as the problem if DISM and the offline installer do not work.  Uninstall  KB2966826 and KB2966828, then try installing 3.5 from programs and features.  It worked for me.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/201700-cant-install-net-framework-35-on-a-windows-81-computer/

108 people found this helpful

Abuse history

progress