Windows Update for Windows Defender KB2267602 failed with error code 8007051A

I checked to see if my computer is up to date and it told me that there were no new updates but that I had some updates that were not installed.  Windows update history gave me this error message.  It appears that my definitions for windows defender have failed to install for a while.  Without giving me warnings when I log in.  Have not found anything on what  8007051A error is nor how to fix it.  Any ideas on what to do?

Searching for unknown windows update errors leads me to windows fixit which points me to this community. 

I'm running Win 8.1.  On a Dell Inspiron 15 series 7548 only three years old.

Hi Kurt,

To address your concern, you can perform the steps indicated to this link. The troubleshooting steps are applicable for update issues from Windows 7 and up.

Let us know how it goes.

Best regards,

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I found a solution by searching on the error code.  Downloaded the file WindowsUpdateDiagnostic.diagcab.  Ran it, choosing the first option to repair Windows Update.  It found and "fixed" several errors.  Windows Update still failed.  Ran it again and it "fixed" more errors some of them different.  Windows Update still failed.  Ran it again, then ran it and chose the second option to fix Background Intelligent Transfer Service.  It "fixed" some more errors.  Then I set Windows Update to update automatically.  Then I started Windows Defender Antivirus to run all night.  Windows Defender claimed it had the latest definitions even though Windows Update definitions failed.  No viruses were found.  In the morning my PC made me wait while it installed updates which all passed.

The waiting part for my PC to update itself is exactly why I turn auto update off.  Most times I don't have time to wait for my PC to shut down as I have places to go.  Other times I don't have time to wait for my PC to start up as I'm a busy guy.  Which is why I can not recommend Windows.  Only running it because it came on my laptop and drives the 4K screen without issues.  Plus there is some software I run where I must use Windows as the software is not available for Linux while all of the gnu software I use does run under Windows.  I'll turn auto update off for another month and presume that we'll have this issue again when I decide to update.

Sorry I didn't document where I found the WindowsUpdateDiagnostic download.  Search for error code 8007051A alone.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 20, 2018 Views 162 Applies to: