Windows RE statue Disabled

Hi

I've been trying to refresh my laptop for weeks now and just when I decided to do so I got this

Then when I went to make a recovery USB drive I couldn't click on the greyed option

Apparently it says I have missing files

So I went to cmd to check on the recovery location I found this 

I tried to enable windows RE using reagentc.exe/enable

It said that the operation was successfull but when I checked it again it still said disabled

Can anyone help me please? 

|

Hello,

Thank you for writing to us. We are glad to assist you here at Microsoft Community.

We appreciate the steps you have already tried. Ideally, enabling the WINRE using "reagentc.exe/enable" command fixes the issue. The status might still show as disabled but if you try to enter WINRE it should work.

You might  be facing this issue due to some corrupted boot files. I suggest you to try the following steps and check if it helps.

If you don’t have a Windows 8.1 DVD, you can refer to the article mentioned below to know how to create a bootable USB\DVD for Windows 8.1.

How to create installation media for a PC refresh or reset

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

I suggest you to change the first boot priority to DVD\USB if you are not able to get the boot menu when you insert a DVD\USB.

Let’s try these steps to restore Windows 8.1 from a system image or recovery disk.

To restore using a Windows installation disc or a system repair disc:

1.     Insert the installation disc or system repair disc.

2.     Restart your computer using the computer's power button.

3.     If prompted, press any key to start the computer from the installation disc or
system repair disc.

If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD, check the information that came with your computer. You might need to change your computer's BIOS settings. For information about which settings to change, check your computer manufacturer's website.

For more information about BIOS, see BIOS: frequently asked questions.

Note: Modifying BIOS/complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

4.     Choose your language settings, and then click Next.

5.     Click Repair your computer.

Note: This step only applies if you are using a Windows installation disc.

6.     Select a recovery option, and then click Next

To restore using the Recovery Control Panel (recommended):

If your computer is working and you can access Control Panel, or if you want to restore your system image backup onto a different computer, follow these steps:

a. Open Recovery by pressing Windows Key + C, and typing Control Panel. In the search box, type recovery, and then click Recovery.

b. Click Advanced recovery methods.

c. Click Use a system image you created earlier to recover your computer, and then follow the steps.

You may also contact the System Manufacturer in case if you are using the manufacturer’s utility to restore the system image.

Do let us know about the results. We will be happy to assist you further.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

A picture of your Disk Management windows might give us some information to help.

Is this an 8 to 8.1 update install?

Have you tried re-registering your Recovery Tools using the reagentc /setreimage full command?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 13, 2021 Views 1,648 Applies to: