Windows 8.1 - Windows Update stuck at "checking for updates"

Hi. I see this issue has been brought up by many people. I've tried applying as many suggested methods to fix the issue as I could find on the Microsoft.com site, but so far nothing has worked. I bought the Windows 8.1 Pro full disk, formatted my old hard drive, installed it on there, and the updates were working fine. However, that hard drive had an issue that I couldn't seem to fix, so I purchased a new hard drive. I installed Windows 8.1 on the new hard drive without any problems. The very first thing I tried to do on here is apply Windows Updates, but it just keeps "checking for updates" even when I leave it on overnight. My internet is working, of course, since I am using it to post here. I thought maybe there was an issue with the Windows 8.1 installation on the new hard drive, so I formatted it and reinstalled Win8.1 again. The same problem is still happening with Windows Update. I ran the Update troubleshooter, and it detects problems and claims to have fixed them, but it still keeps "Checking for Updates."

Question Info

Last updated September 18, 2019 Views 323,585 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

I formatted my new hard drive again, and reinstalled Windows. It took a few hours of testing to figure out what the problem was. Long story short, the Windows installation would get stuck at one point every time. It only happened on my new hard drive. If I tried a force restart, Windows would start up fine but Windows Update would not work. I was trying to split the hard drive into two partitions. After trying to install on a halved partition, I figured I'd just try not making a partition. I don't know what the heck the problem could be with partitions (other than the hard drive is faulty), but the installation FINALLY went through completely normally. Windows Update works just as it should.

Thanks for all your help!

331 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

To resolve the issue, please follow the suggested methods below:

Method 1. Run the scan again.

If the scan freezes and doesn't complete when Windows Update is scanning for updates, try to run the scan again.

Method 2. Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter.

You can download the troubleshooter from this link: Windows Update Troubleshooter.

Method 3. Perform a System Restore.

1. Turn off your computer manually by pressing the power button.
  2. Start your computer by pressing the power button.
  3. At the logon screen, tap or click the power icon in the lower-right corner.
  4. Press the Shift key, and then tap or click Restart.
  5. On the Choose an option page, tap or click Troubleshoot, and then tap or click Advanced options.
  6. Tap or click System Restore. The computer will restart to System Restore. Select your account to continue.
  7. On the System Restore page, tap or click Next.
  8. When the restoration process is complete, tap or click Restart.

These steps are also available on this link: Windows Update freezes when you install updates in Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista.

Keep us posted.

684 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.