Windows 8.1 Update stuck in loop

I have been away overseas for 2 months. Just got home, turned on my Asus Notebook running Windows 8.1, and it starting running Automatic Updates before I could even log in.

"Keep your PC on until this is done.

Installing update 1 of 33...

Is now 8 and a quarter hours later and the message on the screen is the same.

Would Microsoft please urgently advise how long Update 1 is going to take. Then how long are the other 32 updates going to take.

I would like to use my Notebook apps sometime in the near future. 

Comments on progress to date

No one really helped me.  Responses 6 or 7 days later are useless. The so called Community appears to me to be a poor substitute for proper supplier product support.  Given that it is 2014, not 1914, waiting for days for "support" is quite pathetic - no other business could get away with this lack of product support.

Microsoft - you are taking your customers for granted. It is about time you lifted your game.

I wonder if I will get a response to these comments. My guess is that maybe in 7 days time someone will give me "kudos" for speaking as it is.

You have posted to a win7 group, and you are using win8

Win cannot commence an update process until you have logged on to win, as until you log-on the PC is a doorstop/inert

Contributor since 2006
Currently win11 Pro & O365 Bus, multiple devices

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you Palcouk

18 hours on, yours was the sole reply.

Unfortunately it did not fix my problem

Duncan

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Thank you for replying and sorry for the delay in response.

In case you are still facing issues with installing update, I would recommend that you try the troubleshooting steps provided in the link below and check if they help in resolving the issue.

Windows Update freezes when you install updates in Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista

Note:

If the computer is in no boot state then try to boot to recovery options using Windows 8 CD/DVD. Please avoid performing "Refresh your PC" which is provided as Method 4 in the above article.

Do let us know the status of the issue, so that we can assist you further.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for your reply Naman

Fortunately the system finally freed itself from its system monopolising embrace. After many hours I believe the update was completed.

It would be a good idea for Microsoft to advise customers that the update or upgrade will take a huge amount of time before they get stuck I did.

If this computer was used for mission critical business processes I would have been absolutely dismayed that a supplier of software could treat me this way. Not that I am happy about it anyway.

I would remind Microsoft that customers buy their products to do stuff - not play system engineers - that for you guys to do

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Duncan,

Thank you for updating us on the status of the issue. Do feel free to post on Microsoft Community, in case you have any issues/queries while working on Windows.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 15, 2021 Views 268 Applies to: