Windows 8.1 black screen after installing Windows Update

Hi All,

I am facing a problem after a Windows Update Yesterday. ( Aug 28, 2014). I am able to see the Login screen once I give my password then its become black screen. if I do CTRL + ALT +DELETE is shows the options to choose the Task manager from there i am able to open IE and other application. but not the windows explorer or desktop related application and no windows 8.1 start screen. When I try to open the appwiz.cpl from task manager its gives me the following error

Please help to resolve this issue. Even I try the restore option by safe mode, but nothing works for me.

Thanks & Regards

Gopra

Question Info

Last updated February 22, 2018 Views 526 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi Gopra,

Welcome to Microsoft community forum: 

1. What is the make and model of the computer?
  2. Have you made any recent changes to your computer?

This issue might happen because of various reasons.

• Unnecessary startup items/ services.
  • Computer performance.
  • Display adapter drivers. 
  • Due to virus infection on the computer.

To fix this problem, use the following methods in the order in which they are listed. After each method, check if problem is fixed. If the problem is not fixed, try the next method.

Disconnect all the unnecessary external devices connected to the computer (except the mouse, keyboard) now check if the issue persists.

Method 1: Since the computer works fine in safe mode, let’s perform clean boot.

Clean boot will help us identify if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue.

To do this, follow steps from this link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After checking the functionality in clean boot, follow the suggestions under “How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting”.

Method 2: Perform a full scan using Microsoft Safety Scanner from Safe mode. 

Refer to this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

Note: Any data files that are infected may only be cleaned by deleting the file entirely, which means there is a potential for data loss.

Method 3: Also make sure you have install the latest version of graphic card and other device drivers referring to the computer manufacturer website and also check Windows Updates for optional driver updates.

Download and install drivers

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/all-drivers

Hope the information provided is useful. If the issue persists, reply here and we will be glad to help you.

John Rubdy
Forum Moderator | Microsoft Community

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

When I try to open the appwiz.cpl from task manager its gives me the following error

Something missing from your post?  ; )

It's possible that because explorer.exe is not running that you won't be able to start that, even starting it explicitly, using   control.exe  appwiz.cpl   because in W8 that would still involve explorer.exe

What were you going to try doing there?

BTW have you tried starting  explorer.exe  c:   (in order to get a File Explorer window)?

Another case which I have been wondering about is starting  explorer.exe  while using the checkbox  with administrator privileges  in effect.  You wouldn't be able to do any MUF stuff but I think you would be able to see your Taskbar at least.

Have you tried finding out why this is happening?  E.g. using Event Viewer.  One poster claimed to see a code which made it look like a resource issue (so probably something corrupted to make that symptom occur.)

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.