Update for Vista and Win 8.1 for the WannaCry ransomware

I'm trying also to download the patch on a Windows 8.1 and a separate laptop with Vista.  Yes, I believe I chose the right downloads from  catalog.update.microsoft.com

Each appeared to download fine, but when I double click to install, both have

a popup that says:

Windows Update Standalone Installer

Searching for updates...

and it's been running and running...green blob continues to move across the bar

Is this normal and how long should this take?

No, neither computer has had updates for a couple years....Vista because I was told Microsoft no longer supported Vista and the 8.1 because I refuse to update to Win10 and it won't let me around that update to get the other updates.  To say I'm frustrated, is putting it mildly!!  :(

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello Jane,

Microsoft has taken a rare step of fixing vulnerabilities in older versions by issuing an update to security features. To better assist you, we would like you to answer the following questions:

• What KB are you trying to install?
  • Are you getting any error message?
  • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, you can check these links to help you install the patch: Customer Guidance for WannaCrypt attacks and Microsoft Security Bulletin MS17-010 - Critical.

Looking forward to your response.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I want to check for updates and try to get to my Check Updates and this is the message I get...OVER AND OVER, in spite of how many times I restart this laptop:

I finally found some updates that say they've "failed" for whatever reason in the update listing...and I don't know why they failed when I could download one or two manually.  Is it that *&^% Windows 10 that's blocking everything?  I'll try to find that listing.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Here's the update history.  The first two succeeded only because I shut off the Check for updates and did those manually from another microsoft site.

I"ll go check the links you gave me above.  THANK YOU for your help.

I'm using NEVER 10 to try and stop 10 from installing, but I'm not sure how successful it is.  I have since adding it, gotten that 10 is going to install in 60 minutes and starts counting down until I delay it by 2 days.  That's a giant PITA.  I'm leary of going into the registry, which one "expert" suggested, but it looks like that's my only hope.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I got the first patch downloaded, but when I clicked on the second one...from your link above...I get it....in Russian or ?????  I need English, obviously.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I got around the Russian language problem by doing a search for that update, found it and updated.  So, both of the updates you gave way up above for 8.1 64 bit have now been installed in English.

I'm hoping I'm all up to date now.

THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL YOUR HELP!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm trying also to download the patch on a Windows 8.1 and a separate laptop with Vista....

We can only work with the Win8.1 computer in this thread. That being said...

Assuming Win8.1 64-bit...

Please answer each of the following [admittedly tedious] diagnostic questions in a correspondingly-numbered list in your very next reply, preferably without quoting this post:

1a. When (approx. date) did you purchase the computer?

1b. Did the computer come with Win8 (or Win8.1) preinstalled, did you do a clean install of Win8 (or Win8.1), or did you upgrade a (e.g., Win7) computer to Win8?

1c. Who manufactured the computer (e.g., Dell; HP; Lenovo; Acer)? 

1d. Have you ever done a Refresh? ...a Reset?

1e. Has Windows 10 ever been installed?

2a. Assuming a third-party anti-virus application/security suite is NOT installed => What Definitions versions are currently listed in Defender's Update tab?

2b. What Definitions last updated date?

2c. What happens when you click on the UPDATE button on that tab?

3. What third-party anti-malware applications (i.e., not Windows Defender!) are installed, if any?  What third-party firewall, if any?

4. Has a Norton application or a McAfee application EVER been installed on the computer since you bought it?

5. Have you ever run the Norton Removal Tool and/or the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool?

6. Is KB4019215 and/or KB4014512 listed in Installed Updates (not Update History)? [1]

7a. What Update Version & KB number are displayed in the second line of text in IE11's Help | About [Alt+H+A] tab; e.g., Update Version: 11.0.54 (KB1231231) ?

7b. Is Firefox version 53.0.2 (or higher) and/or Google Chrome version 58.0.3029.110 (or higher) or any other alternate browser installed?

8. Is Adobe Flash Player v25.0.0.171 installed? TEST HERE USING INTERNET EXPLORER ONLY! => http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ 

9. Are you in the habit of using "Registry cleaners" (e.g., Registry Mechanic; System Mechanic; RegCure; RegClean Pro; Advanced SystemCare; Total System Care; Glary Utilities; Registry Booster; McAfee QuickClean; AVG Quick CleanAVG PC TuneUp; Norton Registry Cleaner; Norton PC Tuneup; PCTools Optimiser; SpeedUpMyPC; FixMyPC; PC Doctor; TuneUp Utilities; WinMaximizer; WinSweeper; Comodo System Cleaner; Advanced System Optimizer; CCleaner Registry Cleaner component)?

====================================================
[1] Control Panel | Programs and Features | View installed updates (in left-hand menu)

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Win 8.1:

1a. 2013

1b. It came with Win8 and Classic Start Up was added at my request. I updated it to 8.1

1c. Asus 

1d. I don't know what you mean by a refresh/reset of Win 8.1...so No, I guess.

1e. No...or I hope not.

2a.I pay for AVG AntiVirus Pro

2b. It updates constantly. The last update was today at 5:34 pm.

2c. I don't use Defender.  I use AVG paid antivirus

3. I also have the paid MalwareBytes on this laptop  I don't have a firewall beyond whatever may be there for Win 8.1

4. NO

5. NO

6. NO neither one can be found in a search of installed updates

7a. Update Version: 11.0.40  (KB 4012204)

7b. Google Chrome:  Version 58.0.3029.110 (64-bit)   Firefox: 53.0.2 (64 bit)

8. You have version 18,0,0,209 installed

9. CCleaner was installed on this computer by the Tech Shop.  I've used it once.  I don't feel qualified to mess with the registry. 

1...The ONLY Microsoft updates installed since 7/21/2015 were the following 3 that I installed manually:

KB 4012216;  KB 4012213;  KB 3184143

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

1. The ASUS computer came with Windows 8, not Windows 8.1, preinstalled when you bought it roughly four (4) years ago, is that correct (or as best you can remember)?

2. Have you ever done a Refresh? ...a Reset? See https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17085/windows-8-restore-refresh-reset-pc 

3. When (exact date, preferably) does your current AVG subscription expire or auto-renew?

4. In Windows File Explorer [WinKey+E], navigate to & right-click on:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG <=this folder

Select PROPERTIES: What's the CREATED date displayed on the resulting GENERAL tab?

5. When & why was MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware (MBAM) installed? Is it MBAM Premium v3.x (free-trial), MBAM Premium v2.x, or MBAM Free? Has MBAM ever detected & quarantined anything since it's been installed?

6. When (exact dates) were KB4012216, KB4012213, and KB3184143 each installed according to Installed Updates (not Update History)?

7a. Any particular reason you chose to manually install KB4012216 as well as KB4012213?

• Before you installed one or both of those updates, no security updates had been installed on your computer since July of 2015! That's not good.

7b. Any particular reason you did not manually install the April and May 2017 Security & Quality Rollup updates or Security Only updates - nor any of the .NET Framework Rollups?

8. What led you to manually install KB3184143? [No big deal, just curious]

9a. When and why did you take the computer to a TechShop (I assume)?

9b. Can you tell me if CCleaner is configured to load and/or run at Startup?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

COMMENTS:

• There's a very good chance that AVG Pro is not installed or working properly. Be very, VERY careful!!

• The good news is that the March 2017 update(s) you installed manually address the "WannaCry" ransomware vulnerability.

• The other bad news is that Internet Explorer's missing two (2) months worth of critical security updates and Flash Player's missing nearly two (2) years worth of critical security updates! Until we get this addressed, use only Google Chrome (not IE11) for browsing and to access pages with Flash content (e.g., YouTube & other videos).
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

1. Yes. I said it came with 8.0 and Classic StartUp.  I upgraded it to 8.1 when that was available.

2. No, I am not going to go the reset mode because I don't have any Win 8.0 disks.  I'll do the manual updates since I think the problem is with the Windows Update.  I did the Trouble shoot thing and it wouldn't find anything...said there was an error.  Oh, good, an error in the Trouble Shooting isn't a good thing.

3. AVG AntiVirus (Full, I computer) will renew on Oct. 5, 2017

4. ‎Friday, ‎July ‎15, ‎2016, ‏‎11:05:31 AM

5. I bought it and paid for it because I'd read it was a very good program.  I wanted protection against "malware."  I paid for MalwareBytes and have 3.1.2

Yes, it's quarantined a variety of pups.

6. KB 4012216 and KB 4012214 on 5/17/16;  KB 3184143 on 5/16/17

7a. WHY did I choose to load manually???  Because NOTHING had been added since 2015 and the Update refuses to work.  It continues to say I have to restart the computer for updates to take effect.  It's been restarted MANY times.  Manually is the only way to get the updates.  YES, I know that's not good.  That's why I came here to get answers and finally found how to find these updates and how to download them manually. 

7b. I didn't know how to get around the Updates that was suppose to tell them when updates were available.  It doesn't.  That Win 10 is the only thing that sits there and says it's ready to install.  If I click to check for Updates I get the message:

8. Because my Windows window that shows update said it failed to install.  I assumed, therefore, that I should have had it.

9. I don't recall what the reason was....it was some years ago.

9b. No, it does not run at StartUp.  I don't like things loading at startup, except for AV, Malwarebytes and that sort of thing. 

I did manage to somehow get to this screen:  Note the dates on checking for updates

I also found a place to check troubleshooting of the Windows Update.  Not much help there when I got this message:

-----------------

Under Comments:

I have no reason to think AVG is not working as it should.  It tells me when it updates and it says when I'm covered, etc.

IE is not a browser I use, except to go to Pogo because Chrome doesn't work there.  My IE is checked to automatically install new versions.  Why hasn't it done that?  

I appreciate your help; I'm guessing I'll just need to work around it and try to install what I need manually.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Being the glutton for punishment that I apparently am with Windows, I tried Troubleshooting Windows Update...again.  Here are the results.

I restarted after it told me all was fixed.  Uh...Not. So. Much, I guess.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 8, 2019 Views 2,055 Applies to: