Troubleshooting Component Store / System Files Corruption

Technical Level : Intermediate

Summary

Many issues with your Windows 8.1 system from not updating to Windows Store issues, from error codes with programs to certain programs just not starting anymore can be caused by corrupted system files / stores. This wiki will help you through the steps of running SFC and DISM to diagnose and solve these issues. 

Details

Situation

• An expert told you to run SFC or DISM to fix your issues
  • Windows is acting abnormal and you receive multiple errors (on screen or in event logs)
  • Windows keeps telling you that there are updates, even after installing all of them. (Skip step 1 go to step 2!)

Before you begin

• You need to have access to a user with Administrator rights.
  • Both steps take a considerable amount of time to complete and cannot be interrupted once started, make sure you have at least 1 – 2 hours available for each step.
  • Step 2 should only be used when instructed, or when step 1 fails or when you’re sure you have problems but SFC does not detect them.
  • It’s advised to run both tools with a clean boot, read here how to boot clean http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796/en

Step 1: Running a SFC Scan.

In most cases of corrupted system files, SFC brings the solution. SFC automatically scans and finds issues with your system, after it will begin repairing them. 

SFC has to be executed in an elevated Command Prompt and therefor can only be started by a system administrator or user with Administrator rights.

1. Open Elevated Command Prompt by following one of two methods:
    1. Press the Windows + X at the same time, then choose Command Prompt (admin)
    2. Press the Windows + W key at the same time, and then type “ cmdright click Command Prompt and choose Run as Administrator
  2. Type the following command “ sfc /scannow “ and hit enter (see image)

3. Wait for the results to come back.

If you get the message that “Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations“

Then there were no system files damaged or corrupted, and Windows Resource Protection had nothing to repair, the problems you are experiencing with your system might have other causes and it’s best to ask an expert to help you further, or you could try step 2.

If you get the message that “Windows Resource Protection found corrupted files and successfully repaired them” 

Then Windows Resource Protection found and solved damage system files and / or corrupted system files. See if the problem you were experiencing still exists, if it was not fixed successfully then try step 2.

If you get the message that “Windows Resource Protection found corrupted files but was unable to fix some of them” 

Then Windows Resource Protection found the problem but was unable to fix them, like the message said. You can try to run DISM to repair the damage, in most cases this does help, but in some cases a system refresh is advised. I personally advise to let SFC run one more time and see if it does solve the problems now.

Step 2: Running DISM to find and fix Component Store Corruption

DISM (Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool) and has the ability to restore your system’s health back to normal, meaning it can solve some problems on your system. The program has some basic commands for end-users to scan their system, however only one command does actually fix problems, the Restore-Health command.

The 3 commands for end-users are:

• ScanHealth – This scans the image for corruption, it does not fix any issues.
  • CheckHealth – This scan checks if Windows has already detected corruption, it does not fix any issues.
  • RestoreHealth – This scans the image for corruption and uses already known corruption and attemps to fix the problems it found.

To start DISM to attempt to fix your problems you first have to start an Elevated Command Prompt:

1. Open Elevated Command Prompt by following one of two methods:
    1. Press the Windows + X at the same time then choose Command Prompt (admin)
    2. Press the Windows + W key at the same time and then type “ cmdright click Command Prompt and choose Run as Administrator
  2. Type the following command “ dism.exe  /online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth “ and hit enter (see image)

3. DISM will now start scanning and trying to fix any problems it finds within the image, it’s normal to get stuck at 20% just wait patiently.

After a while (could take a couple of minutes to hours) there will be a message saying that the corruption has been fixed (see image, colors are changed to make it easier to read), if any other message shows up then make a new question on Microsoft Answers or attempt to repair your system with a reset or refresh.

Try to see if your problem is gone, if it’s gone then if you were helped by someone mark their answer as answer, if it has not helped then ask for an expert to help you further or refresh / reset your system (most experts will suggest this anyway) 

I hope this Wiki has helped you to successfully run these commands and fix your issues, I’m always curious about your response, leave a comment J

Yuri
Windows version used for this wiki: 6.3.9600 Build 9600 (W8.1PRO) 

Forum Article Info

Last updated September 18, 2019 Views 82,839 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

The instructions above for DISM do not work, they only produce an error message that says you must use the version of DISM that corresponds to your computer's architecture, ie 64-bit. I have not been able to find anywhere how I can invoke a 64-bit version of DSIM which is somewhat frustrating.

SFC does not work: it just produces error messages of various kinds and there does not seem to be any reliable fix when they occur. I have found lots of articles around problems with SFC but they mainly apply to different versions of Windows, not 8.1 64-bit as I have which may explain why they do not work for me.

Any suggestions of solving these problems would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Andy

My scan worked correct.

Problem solved and the component store corruption is repaired.

Thanks for the helpfull guidelines!

I have tried all of the above steps and none of this has worked. The final message I have is:

error 0x8034401c

DISM failed.

No opereation was performed.

Are there any other steps I can take? I am using 8 and the app store stopped working a long time ago, so I can't upgrade to 8.1 because I can't get to the app store.

I did all of the above steps and none of them worked.  The last step came up with error 0x8004021 and that it can be found in the windows log file.  I am at a loss!

Thia is not the only app that is not working.  I am having issues with my mail and facebook also.  It is obviously something corrupt or missing.  I've googled the problem several times and tried all the supposed solutions.  If anyone out there has any other suggestions, please help!

Hello

The only option you have is to do a system refresh, the corruption seems to also affected DISM and SFC and then your options are very limited; a refresh or reset.

I hope this helps you a bit

2014-2019 MVP Windows Experience | windowsinstructed.com
I am stuck in the same boat as you. if anyone has any helpful information that would be AMAZING!

I have just tried again and this time the system worked. SFC found errors and fixed some but not all. I then ran DISM and it fixed lots of things. I was then able to run the fix Update tool which ran painlessly and installded the update that did not work. Yippy!

I hope that it will stay fixed. Good luck to one and all.

Andy

after running the dism scan I got the message, " the online/cleanup-image/rrestorehealth ?

Worked!!!! Many, many, many thanks!!!! hadn't heard of dism before but now it's etched into my brain.
Wow, I'd tried everything, but this article (had to go all the way thru DISM process) worked!  I'd posted a separate post, not thinking I'd be successful, but using this info did the trick.  Very appreciative, because I didn't want to do a System Refresh.  Thanks, much!