the boot configuration data for your PC is missing or contains errors file:\Boot\BCD Error code: 0xc00000e9

One morning i booted up my computer running windows 8.1 and rather than starting up like normal, i was greeted with a "Recovery" screen that displayed the message "the boot configuration data for your PC is missing or contains errors file:\Boot\BCD Error code: 0xc00000e9" 

It will stay at this screen for some time before rebooting and returning to the same message. 

I have already followed the steps in a previously asked question here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-system/windows-81-an-unexpected-io-error-has-occured/6e3572f8-283a-4287-9e67-46f183699ff6 and so i understand that "This error message: An unexpected I/O error has occurred. Status: (0Xc00000e9) is a hardware error pertaining to your system’s BIOS. Basically it is telling you that the computer is not able to reliably communicate with the hard drive."

I have created a windows 8 boot disk on a usb drive and have successfully booted from said drive. When i go to the "repair pc" option on the install screen i have tried several tools. The automatic repair tool unfortunately is unable to fix the problem and when i use the "sfc\scannow" command from the CMD i get an error back saying "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested opperation" i have also tried the "bootrec" commands. In order the results are:

Bootrec\fixmbr --success

Bootrec\fixboot --success

Bootrec\rebuildbcd --found windows installation, add to boot list? "Y" the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable. 

Just for kicks, i also tried doing the "refresh my pc" option but when i run it, i get an error saying "the drive where windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again"

I would really appreciate some help with this issue.

|
Answer
Answer

Kevin Koester is a personal friend of mine we where able to resolve this issue by running disk check utility within the recovery media disc (loaded to USB) and afterwards doing startup repair. The check disk utility fix various problems which allowed the "Startup repair" tool to function correctly this time.

From the Windows Media Recovery Disc run CMD type what is BOLDED

1. diskpart
    • This will launch the disk partition utility, we will want to know the volume disk letter for where our OS is located.
  2. list volume
    • It should list your HDD as well as their drive letter. Remember the drive letter that is in a HDD that most resembles the storage capacity. It may or may not say "boot" for file description.
  3. exit
    • In order to run the next command we will need to exit the disk partition utility.
  4. chkdsk /f X:
    • replace X for your boot os drive letter that we confirmed earlier.
    • reboot afterwards into the Windows Media Recovery Disc.
    • this time click on startup repair, you may need to run it about 3-4 times.

Best of luck!

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 14, 2020 Views 2,117 Applies to: