System could not find the environment option that was entered in Windows 8.1

I have the following problems during my update from Windows 8.1.

1. System Restore could not start. It shows an error " C:\Windows\system32\smartscreensettings.exe" The system could not find the environment option that was entered.

2. Error occurred while troubleshooting.Troubleshooting wizard can't continue. Path unknown . Error code : Ox8000FFFF

3. In Troubleshooting - Windows cannot find    %windir%\system32\rundll32.exe 

4. In Windows update Diagnostic , an error occurred while troubleshooting. It said Troubleshooting can't continue. It gave an error code as  Ox80700CB

5. Could not open System restore, Device Manager, GWxWeb windows.exe due to the same problem.

Please let me know the safest method to restore first Windows 8.1 with all my files, folders before I start the repair as per your suggestion.

Thanks & regards, 

Hi Rakesh,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community

As, you have got many issues in your computer there might be a possibility that some of the system files got corrupt. So in this case before you repair the operating system I would suggest you to do a Automatic startup repair and System file checker and see if it helps

System file checker
Please follow the steps in mentioned article and see if it helps

Note: It may ask for Windows installation DVD to fix and to enable SFC to make more than minor repairs. Some files saved on your computer might get deleted when fixing corrupted files.

If issue still persist try Automatic Repair,

Automatic Repair
You can try running an Automatic Repair from the OS disc. If you did not make one, you can find the ISO file download to create a disc at the Create installation media for Windows 8.1 page. You will have to use another computer to do so. Make sure you create the appropriate version disc, x86 or x64, depending on your current OS build)

1.Boot into the Windows 8 disc.

2.Once selecting your language, time and keyboard settings, click Next to load the next window, then click on the Repair your computer link on the bottom left corner of the windows.

3.You should then be presented with a Choose an Option screen, with Troubleshoot as an option to select.

4.In the Troubleshoot screen, select Advanced options.

5.Select Automatic Repair from the Advanced options screen and then select the target operating system to repair, which would be Windows 8 in this case.

Please get back to us with the results, if the issue still persist then we have to repair Operating System

Hope this helps,

Regards,
Anusha

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Anusha,

Thanks for your prompt response.

The first method of using System file checker is difficult to carry out for a person like me who will find it difficult to follow up with the command prompts & manually replace corrupted files.

As regards the second method i.e. Automatic Repair, can you help me with a step by step method to create a USB instead of disc  with the appropriate version as mentioned by you. Unfortunately my 2nd laptop already has the Windows 10 version installed, so how do I create a USB? Is there a link to download the file?

Please help a person who is not an expert.

Thanks & regards,

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Reminder-

Hi Anusha,

Thanks for your prompt response.

The first method of using System file checker is difficult to carry out for a person like me who will find it difficult to follow up with the command prompts & manually replace corrupted files.

As regards the second method i.e. Automatic Repair, can you help me with a step by step method to create a USB instead of disc  with the appropriate version as mentioned by you. Unfortunately my 2nd laptop already has the Windows 10 version installed, so how do I create a USB? Is there a link to download the file?

Please help a person who is not an expert.

Please help with my above problem.

Thanks & regards,

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the following problems during my update from Windows 8.1...

Did you just upgrade a Windows 8 computer to Windows 8.1, did you just install one or more updates for Windows 8.1, or did you just attempt to upgrade a Windows 8.1 computer to Windows 10? [PICK ONE]

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 1, 2020 Views 9 Applies to: