Laptop keeps restarting after trying to instal windows 8.1

Hello,
Yesterday I tried to install windows 8.1, and the update just wouldnt complete. No whenever I turn my laptop on, it gets to the toshiba loading screen, and it keeps on restarting over and over. I have no idea what to do now. My laptop is a Toshiba satellite L855 17Q. Any advice?

Thom

Hi Thomas,

Do you get any error message when you are restarting the computer?

You might be facing this issue due to a corrupter boot files. I suggest you to try the following steps and check if it helps.

You can try the following steps if you are unable to boot the computer to desktop.

If you don’t have a Windows 8 DVD, you can refer to the article mentioned below to know how to create a bootable USB for Windows 8.

How to create installation media for a PC refresh or reset

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

I suggest you to change the first boot priority to DVD\USB if you are not able to get the boot menu when you insert a DVD\USB.

BIOS Disclaimer:

Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk. 

I suggest you to disconnect all the external devices connected to the computer and check if it helps.

Method 1:

Perform an Automatic Repair of Windows 8.1 using the installation media.

a) Boot the computer using Windows 8 installation media.

b) In the “Windows Setup” dialog box that appears, set the Time and currency format, Keyboard or input method and the language to install and then click “Next”.

c) Click on “Repair your computer” from the lower left corner.

d) From the “Choose an option screen”, click on “Troubleshoot”.

e) Click “Advanced Options” in the “Troubleshoot” screen.

f) In the “Advanced Options” screen, click “Automatic Repair”.

g) Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the Automatic Repair.

If the automatic repair did not work, then try the next method to perform a system restore using the bootable USB drive which you have created and check if you are able to boot into your computer.

Method 2:

If the issue persists you can perform a System Restore from Advanced Startup Options and check.

To perform a System Restore, follow these instructions and check:

a) Boot the computer using Windows 8 installation media.

b) In the “Windows Setup” dialog box that appears, set the Time and currency format, Keyboard or input method and the language to install and then click “Next”.

c) Click on “Repair your computer” from the lower left corner.

d) From the “Choose an option screen”, click on “Troubleshoot”.

e) Click “Advanced Options” in the “Troubleshoot” screen.

f) In the “Advanced Options” screen, select “System Restore”.

g) Follow the on screen instructions to restore the computer to an earlier state when the computer was working fine.

Now check if you are able to boot the computer successfully.

Note: The System Restore restores the computer back to an earlier point in time, called a restore point. System Restore doesn’t change your personal files, but it might remove recently installed apps and drivers and also reset the recently changed settings on the computer.

Hope this helps.  Please post back with the status of the issue and we will be glad to assist you further.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the info Karthik. I've had a look and  dont have the product key for Microsoft 8.1. Is there any way I can obtain this? And if I can't find it then what alternative do I have to fix the laptop, considering it is an error with the microsoft update?

Also to answer you're first question, no there is no error message that comes up. It simply restarts over and over again from my laptop loading screen.

Thanks,

Thom

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Thom,

Thank you for replying with the status of the issue.

As you have mentioned in your reply, that you do not have the product key here in this situation I would suggest you try the following steps and check if it helps.

Use the power button to restart your computer during the boot process three times (do not let it get to the end of the boot process). This should bring up the Windows Recovery Environment, from there perform the steps that Karthik has provided in his response.

If this did not help, then you will have to contact the computer manufacturer for further assistance with this issue.

Please feel free to visit our website for any help with Windows Operating System.

Basith M
- Forum Moderator (Multiple Forums)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

i have just just attempted to restart it 3 times manually and the windows screen hasn't come up. It's also quite unhelpful that you said I should contact the laptop maker as this is an error with your software update. Is there nothing else you can suggest?

thom

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Thom,

Thank you for replying.

Usually this upgrade issue is caused due to any hardware or software compatibility issues or due to any external devices. If you have connected any external devices other than mouse and keyboard, then try disconnecting it and check.

I asked you to contact the computer manufacturer for getting the installation media, so that you can perform the troubleshooting steps that Karthik has provided in his first response.

Please reply once you have got the Installation Media and once you have  tried the troubleshooting steps, so that we could help you fix the issue.

Basith M
- Forum Moderator (Multiple Forums)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 2, 2023 Views 1,032 Applies to: